Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,329   Online: 1206

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Since the same effect can be done by photoshopping a digital image I can't see that a filed edge identifies a print made from film.

I personally find that that the ragged edge distracts from the print. Besides the whole effect is rather a dated style concept.
    Some like it though Gerald and don't want to use Photoshop, it's a gimmick and I'd agree detracts from the image.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, it really is that simple.

IMPORTANT: It's *not* just a file...you need to get sandpaper (for metal) to completely smooth out every part of the carrier -- both plates, both sides. Otherwise, obviously, you'll scratch and ruin all your negs.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Just use the 35mm neg in the middle of a glass 6x6 carrier with the masking strips closed down. No filing required, and no problem with un-flat, poorly supported negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No. I was given a few but never used them. My photographs stand on their own. If I need a black boarder I use a black mat.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since the same effect can be done by photoshopping a digital image... rather a dated style concept.
    Use of my carrier in someone els's digital catastrophe is not only unethical it is fraud.

Personally I'd say that Black and White prints are even more 'dated' and more easily imitated in photoslop. Therefore it would be prudent to give up on B&W photography...
    Last edited by ic-racer; 12-19-2012 at 06:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Filing a negative carrier?

It doesn't have to be a sloppy edge, as some have mentioned. If you do file a carrier out don't forget to paint the edges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Inclusion of the negative carrier edge in your print also identifies the print as a projection print made from film.
    To clarify my comment on photoshop. It was ONLY to refute the comment that the presence of a carrier edge PROVES that the print was made from film. My argument was that the same effect can be applied to a digital image and therefore negates the quoted statement. In other words a digital image can be made to LOOk as if it was a film image. Nothing else should be inferred from my statement.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-19-2012 at 08:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm

Filing a negative carrier?

I make rough black borders without involving modification of the carrier. I work out the image size( normally constant for several prints), and then produce a black card mask with the border cut into it. This sits in the easel on top of the paper which is then exposed to make the border, card removed, then image exposed. When preparing the mask, I cut one side, then cover the cut on front and rear with transparent tape. Doing this one side at a time keeps the image area mask suspended within the outer frame. Depending on how you set up the image size, you may need to print the border with the easel frame raised. The whole process is easy to do. The important part is keeping paper and mask aligned in the easel. I wouldn't recommend this for producing fine black borders! Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To clarify my comment on photoshop. It was ONLY to refute the comment that the presence of a carrier edge PROVES that the print was made from film. My argument was that the same effect can be applied to a digital image and therefore negates the quoted statement. In other words a digital image can be made to LOOk as if it was a film image. Nothing else should be inferred from my statement.
    I grin when I see a black & white print with a Kodak Gold rebate or a color print with a Kodak Tri-X rebate.

It just shows that the digi-snappers, in the words of Simon and Garfunkel,
    I've just been fakin' it,
    I'm not really makin' it.
    Just like HDR, trying to be film but can't get it up!
    when you look up in the sky
    You can see the stars and still not see the light
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used a Dremel, then fine-tuned with a file (burnished the edges to finish off and avoid scratches). But before I had an extra 6x6 carrier, I just cut a neg carrier from black mat board that was slightly larger than the image.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin