Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,140   Online: 912

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Filing a negative carrier?

I did a quick search, but tapatalk isn't returning many results.

Do any of you used filed negative carriers for those sloppy edges?

I just ran across a blog post about them, and I've been curious about it since I first saw them in a video a while back.

Is it really as simple as a metal file?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a Dremel, then a smaller file in the one I filed out. Depending on the enlarger and size neg, there are full frame holders out there, too. I have one for 35mm for my Beseler 23CIII, but had to make one for 6x6. Using a hand file will take awhile, but is less likely to take off too much. The trick is to keep checking so you don't make it lopsided and then way too big.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    not for sloppy edges but to actually enlarge the entire exposed area (omega carriers for all formats).
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use black borders almost all the time.

I used a jeweler's saw on mine, but the work was tedious. Dremel sounds good. File would work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've made quite a few negative carrier masks and use a drill follwed by a file, it's very easy. I usually start with aluminium sheet. Now I have a Dremel and a clone I'd do some of the work with one of them isntead like Bethe.

In fact I need to make 127 masks at the moment for either my Dursts or my De Vere 5108

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Filed-out carriers used to be a punishment for me. If the teacher thought you were composing on the enlarger too much instead of in-camera, he took your carrier and gave you a filed-out one. You would have to do the rest of that project using the filed-out aperture and showing sprocket holes on both sides.

Filing out an aperture is simple in theory but can be difficult in practice.
    I have filed many apertures on cinema projectors. It's the same idea as filing a negative carrier's aperture: Just do it.

Take an old negative and use that as a guide to know how far you want to file.
    Project an image. File a little bit. Project again. Repeat until the edges are where you want them to be.
    Work slowly. Be careful.

Use a good quality file. Nicholson, et. al. You'll pay for good tool, many times over, buying cheap tools.
    I used a 4" Pillar file. (They are narrower and the edges are parallel.) #4 Swiss cut.
    Pillar files also have "safe" edges that have no teeth so you can file square corners without blowing them out.

When you get the edges almost where you want them, take the file and bevel them back. That will give you a clean-looking edge when the image focuses on the screen/easel.

Before you finish, take a fine emery board (manicure file) and polish the edges perfectly smooth.

Okay, so filing projector apertures is a lot more critical than enlargers but the principle is just the same.

Measure twice. Cut once.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Filing a negative carrier?

I've got a Beseler 67c enlarger with a 6x7 carrier and a 35mm carrier. If I run across some used carriers on the bay I may try it out.

I really find if the square image in the middle of a rectangle sheet I think. I've always enjoyed it any time I've seen it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought that the affectation of filing carriers had finally died out. Sorry to hear that some are still considering it.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    I did a quick search, but tapatalk isn't returning many results.

Do any of you used filed negative carriers for those sloppy edges?

I just ran across a blog post about them, and I've been curious about it since I first saw them in a video a while back.

Is it really as simple as a metal file?
    Filed edges are good, especially today. The unique one-of-a-kind marks identify the image as your own. Inclusion of the negative carrier edge in your print also identifies the print as a projection print made from film. When you present your print, you can cut an overlay mat to cover the filed edges if you subject matter so requires. But under the mat, the print retains your unique markings. As far as I am concerned the unique marks are as good as a signature.

When making the hole, don't make it perfect. Also, thick carriers work better. I have a thin mask I filed out and when I print that it just looks like a mistake. My best one is a 2mm thick aluminum carrier that I filed out. It looks pretty good.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 12-19-2012 at 11:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Inclusion of the negative carrier edge in your print also identifies the print as a projection print made from film.
    Since the same effect can be done by photoshopping a digital image I can't see that a filed edge identifies a print made from film.

I personally find that that the ragged edge distracts from the print. Besides the whole effect is rather a dated style concept.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin