Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,141   Online: 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Enlarger for dummies?

Hello,
    I know very little about enlargers beyond knowing how to use most of them. I want a good, compact enlarger that will accomodate 6x9cm negatives and be small enough that I can move it in and out of my bathroom darkroom. I know Besseler 23Cs are good, but could I realistically find anything smaller? Thanks for all imput, APUG rocks!
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recall that Durst use to make serveral models including a 6x9 version that was reasonably compact. They were nice and solid but make sure you can get all the neg carriers with it as they were/are a pain to try and get.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My favorite 6x9 enlarger is the Meopta Magnifax 4 (don't know if this is available in the US). The Magnifax column fits into a drop-in socket on the baseboard and lifts out easily, the carrier stage and head can also be removed by loosening one handwheel and replaced without loss of alignment. Choice of condenser, color or multigrade heads.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Chris,

The key (I've found) to a bathroom/darkroom setup is to create time saving constructions. I used to carry an Omega DII in and out (I am not advocating that you do this.<g>) but it was not a problem because I made a sturdy stand that could be folded and put away in the closet next to the enlarger.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favourite is the Meopta Opemus 5a but I''m biased as that's what I use and yep I'm a dummy My wife calls my darkroom the kitchen ... silly girl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Durst do a model for 6x9 negs. The M805. However I'm not sure this is a particularly compact model. Then again, having not seen the other makes, I may be talking utter moo-poo. BLIGHTY

Shooter
    Medium Format
    At 6x6 or 6x7 you'd have much more luck.
    If space is a problem give one-tray processing
    a try. Chemistry can be one-shot or reuse. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    6 x 9 and compact don't really go together very easily, but as others have said the Meoptas come to pieces very easily and you can fit the whole lot along with a timer and colour analyser in the box the enlarger came in.

David.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If shooting only B&W and dont mind lack of features the old Federal enlargers are made in 4x5 or smaller sizes and are very light weight and small in size. Not to mention, Cheap.
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recommend the Omega “D” series. My old Omega II (Note: Not D2) is a virtual tank – solid and ridged. Once aligned it will stay that way. It can be worked upon with ordinary kitchen tools – no specials needed. Parts and carriers are available from lots of sources. I found mine to be only slightly larger and quite heavier than a Beseler 760C, which might be my second choice for 6x6 to 6x7, but you may (probably will) want to go large format at least 4x5 in the future, especially after reading more of APUG. Better to plan for that now - and it will handle 6x9 very easily. You can use the same lens for 6x6 (and even 35mm if you are willing to stay with 8x10 enlargements).
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin