Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,024   Online: 885

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bugs in Winter...

Has anyone gone through this?
    I was almost done printing my final version of color neg and just when the lid was opened I was amazed about the great print.
    BUT THEN...... a bug like white hole in the middle of the print..... My worst fear, a mosquito printed on the paper.
    A mosquito sandwich.... a dead freaking mosquito that though the enlarger head was a good place to be.
    The irony, we are at 2c and its winter, where did the freaking mosq. come from???
    I had to clean the neg and wait long before redoing the print.... I just hope the inners of the mosquito had no toxic fluids for the neg.
    "The Medium is the Message"

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Sorry about your neg' but you confuse me. You refer to a bug and to a mosquito, which was it? A bug is specifically an insect of the order Hemiptera, with piercing-sucking mouth parts, A mosquito is in the order Diptera, fies, and while they also have sucking mouth parts are definitely not bugs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not in the winter thank goodness, but summer is a different matter, no matter how hard I try to keep them out, there always are a few mozzies and moth that drown themselves in the chemical trays, sometimes I have to filter their little bug bodies out of the stop bath and fixer when I pour the chems back. And of course moths and enlargers....doing a bit of unwanted dodging for you from time to time while dusting up the lens with their moth dust.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Austin View Post
    Sorry about your neg' but you confuse me. You refer to a bug and to a mosquito, which was it? A bug is specifically an insect of the order Hemiptera, with piercing-sucking mouth parts, A mosquito is in the order Diptera, fies, and while they also have sucking mouth parts are definitely not bugs
    Maybe not by formal definition, but come on...

Informal defintions are still definitions, and are valid. Butterflies, moths, houseflies, mosquitos, roaches, spiders, and so on, are bugs. In the non-scientific, common meaning of the word.
    So are old Volkswagens (in fact both bugs and beetles), surreptitious listening devices, failures in software, and my neighbor's little annoying chihuahua (well, that's what I call it, when I'm not calling it a rat.)
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I one time had a sheet of b&w paper with a fly squished into the emulsion.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    bug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bug.png  

Shooter
    35mm
    Had a fly once fry to the back element of a projection lens at a theatre where I was a projectionist. What a great job it was. Carbon arc lamp houses, big Bauer 70mm projectors that I was trained to run and repair, grounding myself while rewinding the big heavy reels of film so the static charge wouldn't blow me across the room. The salad days. We never knew how good we had it. Now some mouth breather "manager" pushes a button and goes back to his spreadsheet. Very sad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did the fly live to see another day?

EDIT... oh, my mistake... I mis-read. You asaid "fry"... I thought you said "fly". Ignore my question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Did the fly live to see another day?
    Only if if the movie being shown was titled, "Another Day". And if so, it only got a short preview.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On that same line I had a fly get plastered to an offset plate on a web press on startup. It made twenty or thirty good images of the road kill before it washed off the plate.
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin