Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,863   Online: 1068

Shooter
    Medium Format

I've Missed the Smell of an Open Tray of Fixer

Folks—

Recently I posted a hello on the “Introduce Yourself” forum. I was lamenting my lack of a fully functioning darkroom.

Well, I finally brought the Beseler 23c over and set up some trays. I had no negative carrier, so I cut a couple out of card stock. Not pretty, but they worked. I didn't have a VC head, but I had some 3½" square Beseler color filters which I could hold just under the enlarger lens. My lens is too short, but it's what I have: 75mm. The right hand elevation gear is about a third stripped. The enlarger timer is probably from the 50's—it's an analog job that I had to check against the ticking of a wall clock in order to get accurate exposure timing.

The whole setup is clunky.

But…

I have prints!

These were printed on Fomaspeed Variant, all developed in 1:14 Ilford Multigrade. All were taken with a 50's vintage (I think) Zeiss Ikon Nettar:

Self Portrait No 1: Taken in my office, using an old, cheap, underpowered Britek umbrella set triggered by a Vivitar 283 on the shoe bouncing off the ceiling. Film is Holga 400, processed in Ilfosol 1:14.

Power Line: Taken in Lexington, KY. If I recall correctly, this was during the winter of 2006-2007.
    Film is Fuji Neopan 400, processed in D-76.

Address Post: Taken on the same walkabout on the same roll as the prior image.

It was definitely fun—I think I spent about three hours or so making prints. I look forward to more.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome!

I wouldn't be surprised to hear in 30 years that you still use that cardstock negative carrier.

I still do.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Congrats! Welcome back!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cool, it gets to be more fun the more you do.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, folks! Oh, and Bill: I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good job Henry! I was in Japan for nearly two years before I finally got a functioning darkroom again -- not that you can't find enlargers and such here, it's just they are still so very expensive, even used. I was lucky in that someone was trying to make room in their house and basically gave me a nearly mint LPL VC7700 enlarger. The hard part was finding a way to create a darkroom without overly damaging my rental property! (which is the case everywhere I live, everytime I move).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just did my first prints after a 20 year absence. Made quite a few stuff ups but on the whole an enjoyable experience. Biggest surprise - 8 x 10's from 35mm negatives far superior to the film scan and print process available from the labs here. Now all I need to do is see if I can justify a Stopclock Pro from RH Designs.
    Greg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Greg—

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
    Now all I need to do is see if I can justify a Stopclock Pro from RH Designs.
    Would make life ever so slightly easier, wouldn't it?
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Medium Format

used one...

i had the good fortune to use the nova print processor for a brief period of time- would love to have one again... they're great.

jvo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin