Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,763   Posts: 1,516,210   Online: 1044

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Color enlarging

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Mmm? I'm not sure what search you're referring to? In any case, I don't have a home darkroom and, for the foreseeable future, I won't so I will continue using the facilities at Rayko. I don't have to worry about getting chemicals on me because they don't use the tray system. It's a machine that does the processing.

Thanks.
    In that case, they will be teaching you on the exact process you would using, its a good deal then, go for it. Have fun.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    The use of trays and room temperature developer makes making small test prints quick and easy. Don't use drums or high temperatures.
    I can't use trays; they (Rayko) use the drum. As far as room temperature chemicals, in San Francisco, especially at this time of year, room temperature means having chemistry at 50 F, isn't that a bit too cold?
    --Mario

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...room temperature means having chemistry at 50 F, isn't that a bit too cold?
    Yes. Turn up the heat and take off your coat.

I inferred from your OP, as I think others did that your ultimate goal was to print at home.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You use a heated water bath or tray to keep your bottles of chemistry at the correct temperature.
    And you want enough solution volume in the drum so the temp doesn't drop during development.
    A prerinse with correct temp water prior to actual dev will help condition the inside of the drum. I
    use RA4 chem at 84F. But ambient temp in the room itself shouldn't be so far out of whack that
    you get a temp drop in the general process (and I live in the Bay area, so know what 50 deg is like
    even midsummer!). Drum work way better than trays anyway, and are safer on your lungs. Make
    sure you have decent ventilation!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I was wondering...? Does color paper come in fiber based and resin coated varieties or is it just one kind of paper?
    --Mario

Shooter
    35mm
    It's resin paper only. Different surfaces of course such as glossy, lustre and matt but essentially one grade only so not multigrade as RC B&W paper is.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    It's resin paper only.
    That sucks. Is there a particular reason for this or is it just a case of that's the only thing available?

Thanks.
    --Mario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing will surprise you on RA4 printing. The paper is relative cheap. Color optical prints also have special quality that digital prints don't have. When I printed color, I never touched that cyan dial on the color head. What the hell they put it there for?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    That sucks. Is there a particular reason for this or is it just a case of that's the only thing available?

Thanks.

Turns out a few days ago I stumbled upon a post from PE in a thread from long, long ago that touches on this question:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=269600

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    When I printed color, I never touched that cyan dial on the color head. What the hell they put it there for?
    I used it once when printing cross processed film.
    Steve.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin