Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,567   Online: 778

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Color enlarging

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Color enlarging

So I finally did it. I finally developed my first roll of color film. Now things get exciting. I've done B&W enlargements. How different are they from color? Is it something you guys can tell me how here or is it too difficult to learn this way? I went to Rayko here in San Francisco to process the film. I was planning on going tomorrow to make a contact print and one enlargement. They offer a tutorial for $60. If I have to, I'll pay the $60, but if this is something I can figure out on my own, then won't.

What say you?
    --Mario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IMO $60 is a very good price if the teacher is good. I'd say do it. You can figure out color printing on your own (I've done it), but having someone around with experience will help you get up to speed much-much quicker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    IMO $60 is a very good price if the teacher is good. I'd say do it. You can figure out color printing on your own (I've done it), but having someone around with experience will help you get up to speed much-much quicker.
    +1

$60 is cheap for a hands-on, actually see (and hear and smell ) learning experience.

It will give you invaluable context, that will serve to enhance the value of all the internet and printed resources you may subsequently consult.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Seems a fair price, when you consider you could know how to do it by tomorrow! Reading about it would take a whole day and you would be intimidated. Doing it will take a few hours and you'll build confidence.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    So I finally did it. I finally developed my first roll of color film. Now things get exciting. I've done B&W enlargements. How different are they from color?
    What say you?
    I'd say that colour is quite different from B&W. One has, err.. colour in the print and the other err.. doesn't

OK couldn't resist it. On a serious note $60 sounds reasonable to me as well. It will give you the kind of confidence that otherwise might be missing and lack of confidence means more frustration and mistakes. It might even save you a chunk of the $60 in paper.

Have fun

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Mario,

Take the class. You should also search the forum using the key words "tray processing RA-4 room temperature".

Printing color is good fun. You will enjoy it.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Is it something you guys can tell me how here or is it too difficult to learn this way? I went to Rayko here in San Francisco to process the film. I was planning on going tomorrow to make a contact print and one enlargement. They offer a tutorial for $60. If I have to, I'll pay the $60, but if this is something I can figure out on my own, then won't.

What say you?
    I learnt how to do it from reading posts on here, I made a file full of information on colour balance and then I printed it out. I still refer to it now. However, I think I would have taken a lesson if it was convenient - it's more social isn't it?

Colour printing is lots of fun, it's not difficult.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Basically RA4 processing when you get the hang of it is actually a doddle. It is a balancing act between temperiture - exposure-color-balance-film-printing paper-and chemicals.

Get one set of materials that suits you and stick with them. Get one set of chemicals to process the film and one set to develop the paper and stick with them. Make sure your temperiture is consistent and the remainder will come naturally. You can 'dodge and burn' in the same fashion as B&W but you run the risk of odd areas with different colour balance. It is all a matter of practice. That $60 fee to teach you looks like a good deal. There is nothing like someone to show you the ropes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally, I would try it on my own first. Where you may need help would be with color filters on the enlarger. Again, not rocket science, DIY is how many learn to adjust the filters, along with available aids. Then again, $60 is not much, may help get you on a fast track. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Take the class.
    It's not a class. It's someone showing me the steps. It's one-on-one. I guess that's even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    You should also search the forum using the key words "tray processing RA-4 room temperature".
    They don't do tray processing. They use a big machine. Like the ones one used to see in places where they developed film.
    --Mario

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin