Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,994   Online: 826

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

NOVA print processsors. Anyone?

Hi all,

I am incline to purchase a Nova print processor - vertical processing of sheets - due to high space restrains.

Has anyone used them? Are they practical, for instance in transferring sheets from/to different baths?

Thanks.

Joao

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I used one for a little while and it was easy to use and maintain.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes they are good! I use 2 different ones. Both 12x16, one a 2 bath in which I have stop bath and fixer for mono prints. The actual development is done in a dish then the paper is lifted out and into the deep tank. I use it that way, like you, as a space saver.

Once you have experimented with the thermostat you can get them to keep the temperature very accurately. They can take about 90 mins to heat up and stabilise so I have a plug in timer which I set for a couple of hours ahead of when I want to start work. Smaller ones will take less time.

My other one a 3 bath which I use RA4 Kodak Ektacolour developer the middle bath has stop and the 3rd bath is the bleach/fix. When using RA4 the lack of air in the top of the tank when not in use means I can preserve the developer for as much as 12 months and on one occasion 18 months. You must be rigid with your replenishment to get it to last that long. I use the ratio for every 80Sq inches of paper I replenish with 10cc's of developer. I do likewise with the stop and blix.

To preserve the life of the chemicals, after finishing a session, I cover the top of the tanks with a sheet of plastic film of the type intended for kitchen use. If you can get a good airtight seal, when the liquids cool down, they cause a partial vacuum to be formed which means less oxygen to affect the developer.

Mono developer (multigrade) does NOT keep in the deep tanks. One day is it's limit. Tetenal do make a developer, not multigrade type which you can replenish but I found that the tones were somewhat muted.

One word of caution. Ensure that the water jackets are kept topped up. I didn't, and had the heater element burst. They can be replaced easily but at a cost.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 01-05-2013 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have two - the simple 16x12 monochrome one, and the heater version of same. I must have run over a thousand prints through the monochrome one and it is very easy and simple to use - and the chemistry lasts longer. I can't imagine going back, really... You can see how handy in a small space it is here: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1433699

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Unlike BMbikerider my experience with both Nova's own developer and Ilford's MG developer is that the developer lasts a lot longer than a day. The tube that you put on top of the slots keeps the air away very effectively and if you are not developing for several days then a quick squirt of Protectan or other air-removing gas and then cling film will be effective.

Just make sure that on the next printing session you replenish the developer according to the maker's instructions i.e. if its 10mls per 10x8 print and you have done say 5 prints at your last session then fill up with 50mls of fresh developer.

I have had my Nova for about 9 years now and have never regretted its purchase

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for the replies

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi Joao,
    have no experience with colour printing. With B&W printing I find the NOVA three-slot processor (no heating) not only a space-saver but also a substantial chemical-saver. I prepare new chemicals sort of every two-three-four months (Ilford Multigrade and Ilford Rapid Fixer) and in between I replenish as necessary. Replenisment is easy thanks to the taps sitting halfway up on the side. I print quite a lot and find I get always consistent results. I also have a NOVA print vertical washer, also 12x16, standing close together they take up only a small foot print.
    So = highly recommended!
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Nova processors are very good. I use a 16x12 quad and I would never go back to using dishes. I find Ilford MG developer lasts admirably well if, like mentioned earlier, you replenish before each session. I also use mine for processing FB prints and have never had a problem doing so; in fact FB papers tend to 'hang' better in the slots than RC papers
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used a heated larger quad for more than 12 years and, before that, a smaller one. I use it to process RC Multigrade and, with Sprint developer, find the developer lasts more than week using the floating lids that came with the tank. The darkroom stays between 67 and 72 so I don't use the heater. I would not go back to trays unless I decided to take up fiber prints again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish someone would import them to the US. I'd be very, very tempted to get one for RA4. I know you can do RA4 at room temperature in trays, but not only does the higher temperature speed up the process but the reduced surface area greatly reduces fumes, and you can store the chemicals in it.

I've used an unheated 8x10 "Print Pod" back when they did sell them here for the old Tetenal RA4AT stuff. No problems with the Print Pod - can't say the same for that chemistry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin