Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,482   Online: 922

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The objective is simply to get a proper spread of densities across the print. A problem is that different papers give different visual impressions for similar densities. A familiar example is that the DMax black on a matte paper may actually look blacker than the black on luster paper, but it measures much less dense. Similar things happen in the highlight areas. Then there is the problem with developers. The curve produced by one developer may not be the same as another; so matching a particular zone to a density may have varying affects for the rest of the scale. The subject of tonal variation with different developers for modern papers has not been addresses much, and maybe some work is in order. If you use just one kind of paper and developer, you can probably experiment to find out what looks right for you.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    I determine the print exposure time based off of the important highlight in the negative that should retain some sense of texture on the print surface, about a Zone VIII area or "full" texture in the highlights around a Zone VII area.
    that's what i do and recommend as the most streamlined process to get to a full-scale'workprint'
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am in the process of calibrating a Zonemaster II.

I was wondering if there would be an advantage to setting it so it reads just above paper white rather than 0.04. Or does it really need that 0.04 to give some obvious seperation in tone and allow room for specular highlights etc. I imagine if I set it at just above base white I will be missing out on those really bright highlights if they were on a neg, or at least I would be printing them too dark if you know what I mean.

I have finished my test strips at 0.04 and 90%. Going to make my own grey scale for the unit now with MGIV FB and then make a couple of prints to see if I am happy with them.

Never used a meter for printing before so this is all new to me, I am only used to doing test strips. I am finding it fascinating though using the densitometer to get things as accurate as possible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    the ofirst who attempted to create a print density standard to my knowledge was minor white, but i have a recommendation for you:

Recommendation, please elaborate

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if this doesnot work(i have difficultiesin uploading files)send me an email,andi'll send you the info.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Will do, thanks.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Me too
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    that's what i do and recommend as the most streamlined process to get to a full-scale'workprint'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin