Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,475   Posts: 1,570,990   Online: 849

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Just printed 16x20 the other night.. A few questions

I do tone virtually all my prints and have been using fixer without hardener so that's an idea but at least sine stains have appeared before toning. I think I've just had a bit of fixer on my fingers! It can be surprisingly hard to wash completely off.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with Roger. Fixer is the devil reincarnate! When I was printing the 16x20s that I whined about on page 1 of this post my tongs started leaving fingerprints. I have a set of stainless steel tongs, one for each chemical, careful not to cross contaminate. But the demon fixer still managed to possess my developer tongs. To finish the series I resorted to going upstairs to the bathroom and washing my hands between each print, drying my hands on a clean towel, making the print, using my clean hands to move the prints from solution to solution, and repeating the process. This was with Ilford fiber base warm tone semi matte paper. I think warm tone paper is more susceptible to contamination than, for example, MGIV. After a thorough decon of my tongs they are safe to use again.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a similar problem with the running water being upstairs. I have a 7 gallon plastic container with spigot in the darkroom that I fill and use a holding bath. This is temporary but the darkroom may not have running water until late this year so I deal with it. Works pretty well most of the time, but certainly not as convenient as having a sink in the darkroom (and no sink upstairs large enough to wash prints bigger than 8x10, except the bathtub which is too back breaking. I use successive still water soaks which saves water and gives a good wash but is a PITA.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin