Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,044   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst M 600

Shooter
    Multi Format

Durst M 600

I have received this enlarger on today that came with almost everything(may be not). Among them are two lenses

- Durst Componon 1:4/50
    - Steinheil Cassar 1:3.5/4.5 75mm

I have no idea about the second lens. May I know with what other lens I can look to replace Cassar, in case if it does not perform.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first lens is for 35mm film, second lens is for 6x6 format 120/220 film.
    To replace the Steinheil Cassar, any 75 or 80mm lens will work (Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon, etc). Hopefully the Steinheil has a standard 39mm Leica mounting thread. Otherwise you will also have to buy a replacement lens panel for to match the mounting thread of the new lens.

If it is the same lens as this one, you will need to buy a new lens board for your new lens. 30mm mounting thread is NOT a standard size.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEINHEIL-75...item53f45c72e1

FYI the 2 common lens thread mounts sizes you will find in lenses will be 25mm Schneider and 39mm Leica thread.

ps the M600 is a nice enlarger, I still have mine, 40 years old and still working fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    The first lens is for 35mm film, second lens is for 6x6 format 120/220 film.
    To replace the Steinheil Cassar, any 75 or 80mm lens will work (Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon, etc). Hopefully the Steinheil has a standard 39mm Leica mounting thread. Otherwise you will also have to buy a replacement lens panel for to match the mounting thread of the new lens.

If it is the same lens as this one, you will need to buy a new lens board for your new lens. 30mm mounting thread is NOT a standard size.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEINHEIL-75...item53f45c72e1

FYI the 2 common lens thread mounts sizes you will find in lenses will be 25mm Schneider and 39mm Leica thread.

ps the M600 is a nice enlarger, I still have mine, 40 years old and still working fine.
    Yes, it is the same lens. Any idea about the performance. I target the prints to max 8"x10".
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no idea of the quality of that lens. I never heard of it till your post.
    8x10 from a 6x6 negative is not much enlargement, about 4.4x. With a low enlargement magnification like that, the lens would have to be quite bad to be rejected.
    All you can do is try to make a print with it and see if you like the results. It may surprise you.

Or if you are like me, you could change the lens to one that you know (or think you know) has the quality level that you want, such as an 80mm Componon-S.

gud luk
    Last edited by ac12; 02-07-2013 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a bit OT, but how do you align the thing with the mirrors (condenser?) with the head of the enlarger? It seems I can never get it to fit tightly...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never tired to align it.
    The mirror housing just slides down onto the head and that is it.
    It sits on the negative carrier, but not as snug as an Omega does on its flat carrier.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can find the manual line. Page 31 "Do not attempt to undertake any futher adjustments or maintenance work on your enlager." I had a 601 and dont recall that I ever alined it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a M600, it was my first enlarger, bought it in 1968 or 1969, it is still fully operational, a really beautiful machine. I never bothered aligning the head, except to make sure that the head assembly was clicked in the vertical position, as the head can be tilted sideways.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I used a wrong term, I meant that the head does not sit well or "clicked". Is it normal? I just thought I was using it the wrong way or maybe something is broke, it my first enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes
    The movable part of the head, that you lift with the red bar, does not sit perfectly on the negative carrier. So I think it is like 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch high. It did not seem to make a difference, so I never bothered to look into why.
    Well it "might" be because I replaced the glass on the negative carrier with the aluminum glassless plate, and I put an anti-newton mask over the condenser on the top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin