Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,545   Online: 1166

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dull Prints

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by asegreti
    hmmm...i am a student and somewhat new to this...
    anyway, i am using Ilford Multigrade Fiber paper
    Glossy or Matt?
    Some prints look terrible on a Matt finish and are suited to glossy. Sometimes it's the simple things that get ya. :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film : Tri X 400
    Conditions: bright, sunny day...12/29/04

i had about 10 rolls of film from a trip through MA, so i took them to to a pro-lab to be processed since i didnt have time before finals...i am doing the prints though...the darkroom chemistry should be brand new, since they were disposed of before break...first day back though i noticed they were unusually warm.
    Last edited by asegreti; 01-07-2005 at 03:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    glossy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh... Black and White. Ilford MG Fiber has a pretty good reputation... I'm wondering about the print developer. What flavor ... fresh/ replenished or ??
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How was your paper stored? Have you checked it for fogging? Try reprinting a neg that worked previous, just as a test.
    It also may be obvious, but I have to ask. How long was it in the developer for? I 've seen fellow students (myself included once) develop for a minute thinking they are still using RC instead of FB paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the print developer should be fresh...also...good idea to test a print that was previously okay...thanks...i also noticed that the safe light was a little bright after break...im not sure the darkroom workers really know what they are doing.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Take one sheet of paper, put it straight in the fix without developing. Compare that to the border of your print. If the border is darker, the paper is fogged. If not, it's probably OK.

If fogged, you can either get fresh paper or add a whallop of KBr to the developer. The latter is not recommended in communal darkrooms...

If it ins't fogged, you have a problem. Either the film is underdeveloped - in which case going up a couple of contrast grades will help - or the scene is dull as ditchwater. That happens to me too...

In general I like negatives that are so contrasty that I have to struggle to keep them within printable range on paper.

BTW, are you developing the print enough? The easiest way to make a dull, flat print is to pull it from the developer when it looks ready. Trust me, it isn't! Find a standard time, 90 seconds is a good one, and stick to that. Never pull a print early!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yeah, some of the scenes may be a little dull...i have been looking though the negatives to maybe find new ones. however, i am going for somewhat of a dull feeling to them...depicting the town in winter...when its empty, instead of the summer when the harbor is full of boats and there are lots of people.

if the film is underdeveloped...how high of a contrast grade would you rec. without the whites being too whites and blacks being to black?

and i dont pull prints before 90 seconds...so i dont think that is it....

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I usually struggle to hold my negs inside G2, but I don't recommend my way of working. In general any neg that needs more than G3.5 is a mistake - but that doesn't mean I won't crank it all the way up if I think it might help!

I've made prints at 300 magenta and high.contrast developer. At that point any tiny variation is the difference between black and white - and the next print is going to be black (or white). But sometimes that's what it takes...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well i guess i'll see what i can do. i will have to post them online when i am finished to let you guys see how they turned out and see what you think.
    Last edited by asegreti; 01-07-2005 at 03:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin