Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,301   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Enlarging Lens for 6X7

I had some discussion last night in the chat room about the best enlarging lens for the 6x7 negative, but I thought it worthy of more discussion, since I am now new to the MF enlarging, the more info I have the better. Those that I spoke to last night may remember my problem (maybe it's not a problem), but I will reiterate it below.

I am somewhat confused after visiting the the B&H site when looking at enlarging lenses. Some say the 80 mm is ideal for 6x7 and others say it is ideal for 6x6. Some advertise the 90mm is ideal for 6x7 as well as the 100mm or 105mm. I have a 80mm componon, but this does not seem to be strong enough. Meaning, when enlarging the image to the 8x10 size, I am unable to get it focused with the bellows of my Omega B8 fully extended (contains a V54 Aristo lamp). I must enlarge the image more just to be able to gain focus. By doing so, I am losing some of the negative; this does not seem right. I am thinking that I should be able to enlarge to 8x10 without losing any area of the negative. I would appreciate any comments.

Chuck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't know this enlarger, but have you been using it for 35 mm with a recessed lens panel? Is it possible to remove this panel and fit it the other way round, making it a domed panel? If not, check what other lens panels are available.
    I choose a 105 mm lens to enlarge 6x7, this or 90 mm would be ideal, but I would expect an 80 mm Componon to work, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    purely from a focal length point of view, I would go for a 105 ish, as you will have plenty of coverage (not always teh case with an 80 on 6x7) and same price as 80mm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use a 105.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also use a 105. I can easily get 16X24 enlargements on the baseboard and 240X24 using a dropped bed.

Regards,

Gene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon claims it's 80mm covers 6x7. Scheinder claims 6x6. Rodenstock I think claims 6x7. Like LF lens some of it is design. Some of it might be the lenses being limited by the manufacturer to have a smaller coverage.

I agree you're problem doesn't sound like a lens problem but an enlarger setup problem.

How much of an enlargement you can get from a lens depends on enlarger. I'm thinking of a wide angle lens for 6x4.5 use. 80mm limits me to just above 11x14.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 105mm el Nikkor. I tried an 80mm el Nikkor and it diddn't cover evenly. I am about to switch to Rodenstock lenses, but assume the coverage will be similar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chuck,

the 80mm Componon does not cover 6x7, so your observation should be normal. I don't know your enlarger, however, it makes me wonder that it does not have enough bellows for 80mm@1:3.5.

A 90mm is usually the best choice for 6x7. A 100mm or 105mm is a good choice for a bigger enlarger. I would not recommend longer lenses, because part of their performance is wasted in this case.

IMO, the Computar 4.5/90 has the best price/performance ratio in this class. The Apo-Rodagon 4/90 isn't really better, but usually much more expensive. Although their original prices (both are discontinued for a while) have not been very different - AFAIK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    90-105 are all OK for 6x7. With the longer FL usually performing moderately better since you're using the central portion of the lens. The rule of thumb I've used in the past was Enarger FL=to camera FL for normal lens. So, 90mm(~normal for 6x7)=90mm for enlarger.
    However, it sounds like you have run out of bellows on the enlarger.
    Although you mention the cold light, Is there a condenser in there? That could screw every thing up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thilo Schmid
    Chuck,

the 80mm Componon does not cover 6x7, so your observation should be normal. I don't know your enlarger, however, it makes me wonder that it does not have enough bellows for 80mm@1:3.5.
    Wow, a lot of good info from apugers:

Thilo,

I think that you are exactly right, my enlarger simply does not have enough bellows for that particular lens (Componon 80mm 5.6). In case you are curious, you can go to www.khbphotographix.com, click the discontinued enlargers link and find the Omega B8. I really like the enlarger I bought it already fitted with the Aristo v54 cold light lamp.

I was going through a 2001 Peterson's Photographic magazine and found a statement that says, and I paraphrase: since the proportions of the 6x7cm (actual size is 5.6cm x 6.95cm) negative format and 8 x 10 inch enalrgement are virtually the same, there should be no cropping of the negative to achieve an enlarged 8x10 inch print; however, it did not touch on which enlarger lens is required to accomplish that. So, in my case with the 80mm Componon, I was having to enlarge bigger than 8x10 to have enough bellows to acquire a focused 8x 10 image, thus I was losing some area of the negative. I hope I've made sense there!

Regarding the Computar, who makes that lens? I'm not sure that I recall seeing it listed on B&H's site, but I will double check.

Thanks again for the info.

Chuck

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin