Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,323   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

First time buyer. Need advice.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pho/3616256568.html

I'm going to pick this unit up if things workout tomorrow.

I wanted to know what you guys know about this model and if the lenses that come with it are decent or not. I will be doing mostly 6x6 and 6x9 black and white. I know I will need a 6x9 lens and carrier.

Anything in particular I should be testing and looking for. This is my first enlarger purchase. BTW, the kit comes with more dark room supplies and timer, etc.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK what does not make sense is the location is San Diego, but the phone number is Hawaii.
    That must be a cell phone retaining the Hawaii phone number.

From looking at the pix, I think you have a pretty good deal.

Blowing up the pix you have a Bessler 50/3.5 and 75/5.6 lenses. So it looks like the enlarger is setup for 35mm and 6x6.
    To do 6x9, you will need to get
    - a 105mm lens
    - another lens board for the 105, or if you will not do 35mm, just use the lens board for the 50mm lens.
    - a 6x9 negative carrier

I do not know the quality of the Bessler lenses. It all depends on who made them and what model level. You won't know that until you open the lens box and look at the lenses. Caution, the German lenses have very similar sounding model names, which confused the heck out of me, example the Schnieder Componar, Comparon, and Componon. It took me years to get it straight. I would plan on upgrading the 75mm lens at some point. 75/80mm lenses are not very expensive, you can find good ones for less than $50.

As for testing, it will be difficult to do in the disassembled state that it is in. You may have to buy it on faith that it works. Otherwise you have to assemble the enlarger to get it into a position that you can test the head. Then you have to disassemble it to move it.

If he has the manual, get it. I have a PDF of the manual for the basic 23C, but not the color head. Instructions for the color head is important. You should be able to find it online. But if he has it, so much the better.
    Last edited by ac12; 02-15-2013 at 12:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not familiar with Beselers but that looks like a 6x6 enlarger. Is the head large enough to do 6x9?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to the manual, the 23C can handle up to 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 (6x9).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a Beseler 23CII with a colour head.

A good, robust enlarger that was a favourite in school darkrooms in North America. It will handle everything from sub-miniature to 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 (6x9).

I have a pdf manual for the enlarger, but not the dga colour head. If you need the enlarger manual, send me a pm with your email address.

The lenses shown (assuming they match the boxes ) are fairly mediocre, but they will certainly get you started.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with MattKing, looks to be new out of the box, but you will need a new set of lens. Finding a 6X9 negative carrier should not a problem, check ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got the kit this morning. Erected in the garage for now to play around with it. It did come in original box and everything seems to be in top shape / new. however, I've few questions.

1.) Seems like the timer is not working for me, not sure if I'm wiring it correctly from the pwer supply. When I put the timer on lights On for focus the lamp insdie the head comes on. But when I put it to exposure and press the relay switch for timed exposure I do not see the the lamp being turned on. Note: The door to the head is closed, Im looking under the bellows.

2.)Should the fan inside the head be running all the time? or is it on a thermocouple and only turns the fan on when it gets hot in the head unit.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congrats on the kit.

#1. Timer. At first glance, it seems that the relay/circuit in the timer has gone out.
    I find it easier to trouble shoot one part at a time. So lets deal with the timer alone. Unplug the color head and plug a regular incandescent lamp into the timer, turn on the lamp, then check the timer to see if it works. Set the timer to something like 10 sec, vs. 00 sec. Only when you have figured out the timer, then plug in the color head to see if they work together.
    Did you get a manual for the timer? If not do an internet search for a manual.
    Worse case, timers are not expensive. Heck I managed to collect 3 of them w/o trying, like you they came as part of a package.

#1 and 2. That is why I said you need the manual for the color head. Different systems wire the color head/power supply/timer differently. Some come after the timer, some put the timer into the power supply circuit, others .... Do an internet search for the manual for the color head.
    Hopefully someone who has a C23+color head can help.

And CLEAN everything. I found that stuff in storeage gets dust everywhere. YUK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Congrats on the kit.

#1. Timer. At first glance, it seems that the relay/circuit in the timer has gone out.
    I find it easier to trouble shoot one part at a time. So lets deal with the timer alone. Unplug the color head and plug a regular incandescent lamp into the timer, turn on the lamp, then check the timer to see if it works. Set the timer to something like 10 sec, vs. 00 sec. Only when you have figured out the timer, then plug in the color head to see if they work together.
    Did you get a manual for the timer? If not do an internet search for a manual.
    Worse case, timers are not expensive. Heck I managed to collect 3 of them w/o trying, like you they came as part of a package.

#1 and 2. That is why I said you need the manual for the color head. Different systems wire the color head/power supply/timer differently. Some come after the timer, some put the timer into the power supply circuit, others .... Do an internet search for the manual for the color head.
    Hopefully someone who has a C23+color head can help.

And CLEAN everything. I found that stuff in storeage gets dust everywhere. YUK.
    Yes, it appears the timer is not enaging when in the switch is positioned in "Time" bummer.
    I would need to get a working timer and then see if the fan works or not. Hopefully, as you said someone could tell me if the fan should be working regrdless of the timer or not.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You NEED the manual for the color head.
    If all the power to the head is via a single standard power cord to the timer, the fan will NOT run except when the timer is ON.
    For the fan to run w/o the timer on, the power to the fan has to bypass the timer.
    The wiring can be a little complicated which is why you need to get a copy of the manual for the color head.
    Example, the Omega color head has a 6 pin power cable that has to go to a special power supply where the timer is on a separate circuit from the fan.

What make and model is the timer?
    Maybe we can find the instruction manual on line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin