Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,857   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the exact same enlarger as you but with the reverse of your problem. I was used to using a very old Meopta Axomat 1a which gave me 8 seconds for 5x7 and around 20-40 seconds for 8x10 (20x25cm). Switching to the Durst, the 5x7s were lucky to need even 3 seconds and 8x10 were around 10. At any rate, I switched out the globe last week for a 75 watt globe which has slowed things down a tad.

The M600 has a maximum ability to use 150 Watts, so it won't have any trouble if you want to up the wattage of the globe.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe the M600 is a totally different beast from the 605 which I have. When I did the old Agfa MCP( not the Adox one) at 20x25 cms using a dichroic head for dual filtration my times were nowhere near these. Probably not even as much as Molli's times. Probably around 20 secs max but more like mid teens and this was the 100W halogen bulb

You are getting about 60 secs for a 20 x 25 which is not a big print and over 4 mins with the other paper. Seems incredible compared to my experience but if the prints look right then no issue. Your dodging and burning can be relaxed

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format

Very long paper exposure times

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    It depends on the negative density and the paper speed, obviously. If it helps soothe at all, I have printing times with the Leitz V35 enlarger (75W halogen) between 45 and 120 seconds usually. I like to be in that range as it makes my dodging and burning more consistent.
    Wow, I have times with my V35 @f5.6 and a VC module between 6 and 10 sec on Ilford MGIV fiber glossy 9,5 x12 inch. The lamp is the Philips 13139. Film is TRI-X developed in Rodinal 1+50.
    What could cause such a time difference ? Are you printing much bigger ? Smaller f-stop ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Burning was fun indeed. 1/2 stop = 32 secs.

I know developer is not exhausted yet, since one print came really well after 2:30 mins which is normal for ECO 4812 developer.

I will test again with fresh developer on coming weekend and see how it goes.

Vario Classic seems slow paper @Grade 3 it is ISO 40 where as it is ISO 160 for MCC.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you are finding, it depends on the paper and chemicals.
    Some times you are stuck with the long exposure because of the paper, and there is really very little or nothing that you can do about it.

On the M600 you can put in a 150 watt bulb, for more light. I use my M600 with a 75 watt bulb, because the 150 watt bulb is TOO bright, and results in very short exposure times. Then swap back the 75 watt bulb after you are done with the print using the 150 watt bulb. The smaller wattage also generates less heat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Yesterday I tried to test my Durst M 600 with a 35mm negative to enlarge of size 20x25cm.

Enlarging lens: Schneider Kreuznach @f/8 50mm.

Paper: MCP 312

Without filter: Paper speed is ISO 400 require 20.2 sec(f-stop printing).

With Grade 3 filter: Paper speed is ISO 160 require 64 sec(approximately).

Paper: Adox Vario Classic

With Grade 3 filter: Paper speed is ISO 40 require 256 sec(approximately).

Filter was placed under the lens.

Paper Developer: ECO 4812 Moersch.

Question: Is it normal to have such a long exposure times for paper.
    I would suggest this neg is over exposed by at least 3 stops.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I would suggest this neg is over exposed by at least 3 stops.
    I hadn't thought about this but it would certainly explain why the times are long. The key here is: are the negs really "meaty" looking and even if they are it depends on the OP's definition of this. If his negs have always been this way then my and your "meaty" is his normal.

Maybe there is no way of getting to the "why" short of seeing the negs and even comparing them with yours and mine. Clive

I know little about scanning but maybe a scan of the neg would help answer this?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Very long paper exposure times

Maybe 'overexposed' by some people's standards, but it could well be that OP gets exactly what they want this way.
    Many photographers rely on more exposure than box speed, as well as more developing time than recommended.
    Ralph Gibson comes to mind.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Chacun à son goût.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Chacun à son goût.
    Absolument.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin