Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,788   Online: 709

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lens board 6x9 - Beseler 23C II

Hello, searched the board but could not find the answer.

Can I use my part# 8023 lens board to mount a 105mm lens to it for 6x9 negs? I would test it out myself, but I do not have the 105mm lens.

The manual indicates I need a #8029 lens plate but they are hard to find used.
    My largest print at this time will be 11x14 if that matters.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure. The deciding factor is mounting the lens on the board. What diameter hole your 105mm lens needs is not mentioned. I use a 100mm Ektanon and it works fine. The enlarger (23C = 2x3 = 6x9) will handle a 6x9 with no problem. Negative holders are out there, but they're not easy to find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lens SHOULD have the 39mm thread, I hope.

I'm eyeing 105mm Nikkor or A Rodigon . Ive the negativer carrier already for it.
    Last edited by GKR1; 02-19-2013 at 05:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't remember which 105 I have, but it fits on the same board that my 50 and 80 use (I only have one lens board and just change lenses when needed - it's not the end of the world as some might hint).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I do the same as winger does above... I use the 105 rodenstock rodagon (older version)... it's a 39mm opening... I have no trouble switching with a nikon 50mm 2.8. I use it with 6x7... I print onto 11x14 as well... All that lensboard does is ensure that the part of the lens that sticks into the enlarger head doesn't hit the insides (negative) above it. as you move the focuser closer to it. Although you already probably figured that out.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Or, just go to eBay and pick yourself up another lensboard. They are cheap and then you won't have to switch lenses every time you change formats. Of course, you need to know the size of the mounting hole for your lens. 39mm is relatively standard, but there are other sizes too. It depends on the lens.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for seeting me staright.

I was gifted a 105mm schnider componon, so I think I'm set to start.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, not necessarily.

When you get the Componon 105, check the mounting thread size.
    According to a table I looked at, the Componon 105mm lens has a 32.5mm mounting thread.

Your lensboards are probably sized for the standard 39mm mounting thread.
    You will either need a new lens board with hole sized for the 32.5mm mounting thread, or an adapter so you can mount the Componon in a standard 39mm lens board.

Here is a lensboard with a 32.5mm hole. Note that you will also need a retaining ring to secure the lens onto the lensboard. Lets hope your lens comes with one, as the retaining ring will cost $25 to 30.
    http://store.khbphotografix.com/Flat...gers-Used.html
    http://store.khbphotografix.com/32.5...ters-Used.html

They do make an adapter that will screw onto the 32.5mm lens so you can use it in a 39mm lensboard (which is what I think you have)
    The adapter run about $35
    http://store.khbphotografix.com/32.5...d-Adapter.html
    I found this one, made of aluminum, at a much lower price 8 euro + shipping:
    http://www.customphototools.com/dark...enses-adapters
    One caution, the customphototools adapter does not have a notch in it, but he will put the notch in IF you request it. The notch is important to be able to remove the adapter w/o damaging the threads, if it is on then lens TIGHT (which will happen sooner or later).

I was going to buy the Custom Photo Tools adapter, but I found a 32.5mm lens mount instead for about the same price.

YOU have to determine if you want to go the adapter route or a new lensboard....or...

Another option. Get a 105mm lens with a standard 39mm mounting thread, and you can simply use your existing lensboard.

Comparing the cost for a new 32.5mm lensboard, or an adapter to use the 32.5mm lens with your existing lensboard, or a less expensive 105mm lens, the new lensboard comes in close in price to a new lens. If the Componon does not have a retaining ring, the new lensboard option will be even more expensive, because you need to buy a retaining ring. The Custom Photo Tools adapter comes in at the lowest cost, by about half.
    Last edited by ac12; 02-23-2013 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for the information. I alteady have the adapotor. I'm sure this thread will be handy for the next person looking for this adaptor.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin