Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,219   Online: 671

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I need new fiber paper....suggestions?

OK so I just finished my first box of Arista.edu fiber matte. I like it. I'm wondering if I should get another box or perhaps try something else. On one hand, I like the prints from my current paper but on the other hand, many people swear by ilford.

So a few questions:
    1. What does warm-tone mean? Is it just the overall tone of the paper. The one thing that I notice is that the paper just looks off-white...or is the tonality different is some other ways?
    2. Is there generally a difference in tonality between fiber papers? What makes one brand "better" over the other? Many people say that one paper gives a certain "look" but can someone give me more specific reasons? Is there a difference in tonality? I can understand matte vs glossy and the texture of the paper but I'm wondering if there is a different tonality in the midtones, highlights, and etc.
    3. Is there any 8x10 single ply papers out there? That would be fun to try but I believe they are no longer being made/sold, correct?

Anyone have suggestions for 8x10 fiber mattes...the only papers that come to mind right now is Arista.edu and Ilford MGIV. I might just go ahead and try Ilford, it seems like a safe bet.
    Last edited by msbarnes; 02-19-2013 at 06:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. Warm Tone papers have an emulsion that develops "a little warmer". This difference is usually light. You can tell if you have two prints side-by-side. To me, the most important characteristic of WT paper is its ability to react to toners. Where as most cold and neutral tone paper react very little to toners, warm tone papers react dramatically. Ilford FB WT does have much creamier base paper. Some WT paper do not.

2. Yup.... each paper is different. It's what you like, most of the time.

3. I don't think FB singly ply exists.... but it's hard enough to handle wet FB double weight paper, I don't think I'd want to try thinner paper....

I use Ilford MGIV FB, MGIV FB WT, and Adorama's house brand paper. It's glossy fiber version is a neutral paper. It's matte version is warm tone. The paper base is white but the emulsion is quite "warm" in that it reacts to toners very well.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm

I need new fiber paper....suggestions?

I find the difference between warm and neutral papers to be quite subtle. The difference is in the overall image tone. I also understand that the "warmth" can be increased by using specific warm tone developers. It is said that warm tone paper reacts more noticeably to selenium and other toners. I have used both Ilford fiber paper in neutral and warm versions and they are top quality papers. I recently tried a Foma fiber paper called "Chamois" which had a nice matt surface, and a very warm yellow/brown base colour. It gives a very different look to any other paper I have tried.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I really didn't define what "warm" mean....

Neutral papers render black as black. No tint of any kind.
    Cold papers render black with slight hint of blue'ish tone.
    Warm papers render black with slight hint of brown/red.

SOME warm tone paper has off-white, cream colored paper base so highlight takes warm tone. Ilford WTFB has quite a definite cream color.

Please note, it's just a HINT.... Sometimes it's to degree that you'll have hard time telling them apart unless you have prints side-by-side. If you want an obvious tone, you'll have to tone it.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    Anyone have suggestions for 8x10 fiber mattes...the only papers that come to mind right now is Arista.edu and Ilford MGIV. I might just go ahead and try Ilford, it seems like a safe bet.
    Be sure to give the Adorama VC Fiber Matte a whirl. It's a neutral base with a warm tone emulsion, very slow, and just a hint of luster on the surface, like a Paul Strand print. I made BTZS curves on this paper and it has a very consistent response through all the grades. It's good stuff and very inexpensive. If you run a search on it you'll find more info.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The meaning of "warmtone" differs between manufacturers. For Ilford, it mostly means the paper is pinker but for some other papers, it means the developed image is warmer. It's usually a subtle difference.

Coldtone developer (or Se toning) on Ilford warmtone paper is interesting: cold shadows and warm highlights.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    3. Is there any 8x10 single ply papers out there? That would be fun to try but I believe they are no longer being made/sold, correct?
    Slavich sells two types of single weight graded papers (Unibrom and Bromoportait). I love the matte FB Unibrom single weight paper. Silver Reflections, in WA state, imports it.

Best of luck in your search!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin