Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,973   Online: 898

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Beseler dichro color head fan vibration

Hello, I noticed that there is vibration on the frame when the fan turns On. Is this normal? I do not print color, should I just get rid of this head and put on the condenser.

Anyone else notice their beseler color head minor oscillation?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the fan mounted on rubber bushings that have deteriorated?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is some vibration. I wouldn't jump to any conclusion until I've made some prints or check with a grain focuser. A condenser head looks different. I don't like them personally.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The rubber bushings look good. However the foam gasket around t look like it could use some R/R.

I guess you I should make some prints. However, the vibration still is not good to have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An enlarger head should NOT vibrate.
    Several possible reasons:
    - fan bearing is dry (needs lube) or is worn/damaged
    - clump of dust/dirt/insect nest/etc on the fan blade putting it out of balance
    - vibration isolation is worn out (ie. deteriorated foam)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could there have been an issue with fan vibration in these heads?

The Oxberry slide copy stand used a pin registered Nikon F2 and a Beseler Dicroic color head placed upside down on the bed.

The Dicroic head had the internal fan removed and a flexible plastic vent was attached to the head and routed to an external fan. The external fan
    really reduced vibration.

I have one of these heads, standard as in not modified by Oxberry, and I have considered moving the fan externally.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That cooling system looks great. I do at max 10 prints at most a time and maybe 5 test strips. I do not think it gets that hot with the short period of light being on. Do you guys think I still need the fan? Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would either fix the fan in the head or rig an external fan like what Jonathan linked to.
    Halogen bulbs get HOT FAST.

And thanks Johathan. I might have to use that method on my Omega, once I get it setup.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear GKR1,

If you can see the head vibrate you need to repair or replace the fan. If you just sort of think it's vibrating, check with your grain focuser. If you can't see nice crisp grain you know you have an issue.

Replacement fans are cheap if you go to an electronics supply house like Digi-Key. Cheaper if you can find one at American Science and Surplus or the like.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin