Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 744

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

difference in Selenium brands?

Is there any difference in the brands of Selenium? I have always used Ilford selenuim and it is time to re-order so I thought I would see if there is any real difference before I order.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always used Kodak's Rapid Selenium Toner - only because I started out with it and never bothered to try anything else. Some people have said the Ilford product is similar if not the same. But these are not reports based on any sort of scientific tests/comparisons. It is likely they would work in a very similar way but you would have to test for yourself to see if the dilutions and toning times are the same for your paper. That's really the only way. I can't say anything about any other brands.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    years ago I tested several different brands, and there was a slight difference. We use Kodak's at school.

I didn't test that against the Ilford's brand.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have switched from Kodak to Ilford recently , to be honest I do not notice any difference with the limited length of time using the new product.

I usually mix my selenium at 1:5 with a 45 second tone for Ilford Warmtone Paper and the print colour looks to be correct.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone I'll just stick with Ilford. Hello Ann!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Large Format
    The only selenium toner I have noticed to be really different is the Berg toner, with a much stronger odour and a different palette.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    After using Kodak Selenium Toner for years, I had to switch to Ilford. B&H wouldn't ship the selenium, so my local photo store only had the Ilford brand. Seems the same to me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KenR View Post
    After using Kodak Selenium Toner for years, I had to switch to Ilford. B&H wouldn't ship the selenium, so my local photo store only had the Ilford brand. Seems the same to me.
    Off topic, but I have never understood this. Freestyle ships KRST all over the U.S. I don't see why B&H and others refuse to do so. Heck, the Kodak Indicator Stop concentrate is more of a hazard to ship than selenium toner. You'd think the B&H guys wouldn't want to lose those sales...

Doremus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like working with Ilford products. I think in this instance, it is important to fine tune the dilution ratio with the final expectations you set for your prints.
    For instance, I primarily tone for archival purposes and D-Max, but if I have several of the same print, I may push the processing time to see what happens, i.e., colour shift.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Off topic, but I have never understood this. Freestyle ships KRST all over the U.S. I don't see why B&H and others refuse to do so. Heck, the Kodak Indicator Stop concentrate is more of a hazard to ship than selenium toner. You'd think the B&H guys wouldn't want to lose those sales...

Doremus
    New York law?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin