Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,331   Online: 714

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On....never seen a problem with my LED safelight. I use them during 10min+ lith development and they're fine.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both safelights (a DIY 635nm red LED unit, or a Thomas Duplex LPS unit) are always left on during the entire session. Both have had their filter packs custom augmented and have been carefully tested using pre-fogged Ilford MGIV RC (LEDs) and Kentmere Bromide FB Grade #3 (Duplex). The LEDs out to 60 minutes, and the Duplex out to 30 minutes. Not a hint of fog in either test. Or in actual prints made under the same safelight conditions.

The room is comfortably bright in both cases. With the Duplex vanes open all the way, however, it's actually uncomfortably bright and makes easel focusing difficult or impossible. To see the image on the easel I must close the vanes. With open vanes my sense is that the Duplex is about the same as having a 40-watt conventional light bulb switched on in the room.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine is always on. It's not that bright though. In standard size bedroom, I have two 15 watt kind. Once my eyes are adjusted, it's quite sufficient.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    No "safelight" is completely safe. So to reduce the cumulative light exposure it should be off during focusing and exposure.
    Seems to me those few seconds (of exposure) are negligible when you consider the time spent handling the paper and running it through the various baths. There must be some more practical reason -- does it make dodging/burning easier to have the safelight off during exposure time? I don't do enough of it, so I don't know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine are on all the time, except for very long running processes like lith.
    + I have my safe lights on a wall switch, and the location of the timer is not very convenient to where the light needs to be anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Seems to me those few seconds (of exposure) are negligible when you consider the time spent handling the paper and running it through the various baths. There must be some more practical reason -- does it make dodging/burning easier to have the safelight off during exposure time? I don't do enough of it, so I don't know.
    That's why my safelight (just the one over the enlarger - I have four in my darkroom) is connected to the timer. It's easier to see what you're doing when you dodge and burn. I occasionally check my lighting to be sure it's safe, and even with several minutes exposure, there seems to be no effect on the paper. I do pre-expose it a little before the test. I use old red safelights with 15W bulbs.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right now I'm using a Patterson and a Jobo Maxilux LED, both of which are plugged into the same cord that goes into the timer, so they go off. I do own a Duke 50 sodium though. I don't use it now, preserving the impossible-to-replace tube life for the day I get back into RA4. That safelight has t be left on all the time. It takes several minutes to come up to full brightness and I believe can actually be damaged by switching transients, or at least have the bulb life lowered greatly, by being switched off and on by a timer. It used to stay on when I used it for all my work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to pay the electric bills, so . . . mine is "off". Of course the timer does this without my intervention.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    That's why my safelight (just the one over the enlarger - I have four in my darkroom) is connected to the timer. It's easier to see what you're doing when you dodge and burn.
    Same here, although I have just three safelights in my darkroom.

It is a lot easier to see the image for burning and dodging.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My safelights are always on. They're also red and fairly dim. As well as being aimed more across than down.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin