Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,404   Online: 716

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was the biggest improvement I've made recently.. the ability to turn off the safelight. I've done tests too and am not worried about paper fogging, but I find it easier to focus and see what I'm doing for dodging and burning with it off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mines goes OFF when I am working the enlarger.
    - I cannot focus well with the safe light washing over the easel.
    - I cannot use my exposure meter with the safe light on.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Mines goes OFF when I am working the enlarger.
    - I cannot focus well with the safe light washing over the easel.
    - I cannot use my exposure meter with the safe light on.
    Same here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I have always plugged my safe light into my timer so it went off when the enlarger came on. But in a darkroom class I took last year the safe light stayed on all the time. It didn't seem to fog the paper or cause any trouble. I am working on a new darkroom and doing my planning of where everything should be placed and how to wire the room.
    Both, the safelights at my enlargers are plugged into that enlarger's timer and go off when I focus or expose but I also have 2 other safelights on the other side of the darkroom that stay on all the time giving enough light to see the paper safe, dodging tools and trays.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    So follow-up to my parable about not liking surprises when I'm developing film. I forgot to mention. When I am printing, three safelights are on. Two over the fix and one over the developer. There is a tiny Jobo Minilux in a meter housing on top of the enlarger illuminating the volt-ohm-meter which is telling me indirectly how much light the Aristo grid is kicking out. Wish I had a Tik-Tok metronome or a Horowitz stabilizer, but this is best I can do for now... It's reading about .384 K-ohms now, I just track this number on my print notes. They're all on right now, waiting for water temp to stabilize...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I keep mine on all the time during a printing session. However, I don't use a meter I don't have to be concerned about it throwing things off. I can see the advantages to having it off though during focusing and exposure.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    During composing on the easel, I have to open the curtain to let in room light from the adjacent room, because I want to see the blades of the easel against the negative mask/border. For this purpose the darkroom white light is too bright - the safelights are too dim. I draw the curtains until the balance is right...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    No "safelight" is completely safe. So to reduce the cumulative light exposure it should be off during focusing and exposure.
    Except that the paper is still safely in its box when you focus!

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a very dark area around my enlargers. I don't like a lot of light falling on the easel when focusing and composing. When I'm using rather strong magenta filtration for those occasional soft negatives, I turn off all the safelights in the entire darkroom and focus in complete darkness except for the enlarger light.

However, since I have a rather simple "timer" (a footswitch for the enlarger light on/off and a metronome), my safelights stay on most of the time.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Being the pedantic type:

Q: is your safe light on or off while the enlarger is on?

A: Yes.

Steve.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin