Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,164   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Printing color negatives as B&W

Anybody do this regularly?
    Are you happy with the results?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For this to work i guess you should have panchromatic paper. Does that even exist? You'll loose all red details otherwise.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ilford Galerie Digital Silver, panchromatic or very near-panchromatic FB and RC papers from Harman.

https://www.focusnordic.dk/Product/ILF-DIG-SILV

https://www.focusnordic.dk/Product/4421170960

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    my students do it all the time, times will be longer and contrast needs to be in the grade 4 range
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    You will find that the grain is MASSIVE. Even on fine grained colour 100iso film B&W film of the same sped will beat it hands down, I think it may be something to do with the red dyes not being recognised on B&W paqper

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My aunt is a professional portrait photographer. Toward the end of her film path, when digital was starting to pick up, she would use chromogenic C-41 film for some of her personal/family stuff she still wanted to print in the darkroom. I have her enlarger now, and she told me if I wanted to do it, the exposure time is almost doubled, and increase the contrast filter to around 3 or 4 on Ilford paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak used to make a paper for this purpose. It was supposed to be processed in EP-2 (or it's RA-4 now). They don't make it any more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should not use VC papers with color negatives as the contrast varies with the color and can give some odd results.

Kodak made a B&W panchromatic paper that was processed as a normal B&W paper in Dektol or something similar.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Kodak used to make a paper for this purpose. It was supposed to be processed in EP-2 (or it's RA-4 now). They don't make it any more.

If I remember correctly, Kodak made a B&W color dye paper in the '70s - it was a special purpose paper designed for things like ID cards (and such) that needed B&W images.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe I was lucky(in the sense of using VC paper and maybe having no reds in the neg) but I was very pleased with the results. They were 1970s colour negs and had suffered but the B&W prints were very good. Not what you'd get with a B&W neg of course and if B&W is your thing then go for B&W but if you want prints from old colour negs that may be fading or simply want to have the occasional B&W prints then the results in my experience aren't bad

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin