Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,476   Posts: 1,570,997   Online: 907

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes. But the change in depth from one stop to the next at this point is generally not enough to cause
    a viewing issue under the magnifier, at least if you have a reasonably bright light source. Sometimes it
    can be too bright and you might need a ND filter somewhere in the lightpath! I work with quite a few
    different enlarging lenses on several different enlargers, both in color and b&w printing, sometimes fairly large, so am functionally aware of these kinds of issues. But that doesn't mean everyone has to
    be nitpicky about them. Once you're comfortable with the characteristics of a specific lens, it gets pretty
    routine or second-nature to check such things in a matter of seconds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that if your working distance and brightness of your lamp at the working aperture is adequate to judge focus either on the paper or through the grain finder/magnifier, you might as well focus at that aperture and leave it there. It will save you a step of having to open all the way up and then stopping down to working. If you cant or are not sure of the focus, then do it wide open, or at whatever aperture allows you to see the image clearly, and then stop down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But how can you judge when you are viewing with an increase in depth of focus?
    It is not difficult. Increased depth of focus and depth of field expand the zone of acceptable sharpness, but there is still only one plane of sharp focus, and at the magnification of most grain magnifiers, it is not very difficult to find. That is unless you are using some sort of micro-grained doc/copy film and the enlargement factor is exceedingly small.

If you have a high quality modern lens, there is likely no meaningful focus shift and you can go about your business focusing wide open without worry.

However even if you find there is a focus shift, in all honesty unless your preferred working aperture is very small, focusing at the working aperture should not be a problem. Maybe it will take a few extra seconds of back and forth but so what? I worked this way for years when enlarging 35mm negatives in a standard Omega B66. I had a basic 50mm f/4 lens, and I always focused at f/8. It was not difficult at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Please don't cloud the water here, as I appreciate the value of stopping down, but not checking focus at one stop down.
    Yes, a guy who prints professionally for a living is more than likely trying to "cloud the water".

Question: Are you currently professional printer, and by that I mean someone who prints other people's images for a living?
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think he lost interest in this thread after I tried three times to explain why there is possible value in checking focus at the working aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I think he lost interest in this thread after I tried three times to explain why there is possible value in checking focus at the working aperture.
    Check his history, he'll be back.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin