Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,206   Online: 824

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saving paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Saving paper.

I have to burn a couple of papers in order the find out the exactly exposure time for a single foto.

To save paper I usually get a sheet and cut in 4 or 6 peices depending on the size.

I wonder if different papers have different time exposure or not. So I could use a cheap paper to test and use the expensive one to actually make the final print.

I have only used 1 paper so faz and now I am going to use Ilford ART 300.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Different papers have different characteristics, and therefore different exposure times.

The best way to save paper is to get one of the Darkroom Automation enlarging meters. Nicholas Lindan of this web site puts them on the market, and they are a very good product.
    It's a bit expensive at first, but quickly pays for itself.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Usually within the same manufacturers, they will have close to the same time, but often times are not identical. Unfortunately, there's no shortcuts to getting a great print. My suggestion would be get close with a strip, then do a full exposure--check for dust spots, highlight burnouts etc, then you should have a good solid try next round with dodging/burning now that you've seen the whole thing.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that the OP's question is simply this: Can he use say Ilford MGIV RC paper( the cheap stuff) to ascertain the right exposure or nearly right exposure for Ilford Art 300?

Am I right OP?

So anyone use both papers and if so is the emulsion the same or close enough for MGIV to be used?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are ALL different. Even between MGIV RC and FB, they are different. Even if emlusion reacts the same, paper texture will make the contrast LOOK different which requires different contrast grade, which will affect your exposure time. There's quite a bit of difference between neutral and warm tone papers. So if you use multiple papers, it will get quite confusing FAST.

All you can do is cut up a sheet into small parts and test few times. Once you get a hang of it, you can extrapolate from different paper type fairly well. Then few more sheets to fine tune. It's wasteful. There's no doubt about that.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There may be a relationship between one paper & another but it's false economy as they don't have the same characteristice.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can learn some useful information about prints on another paper by refining a print on your first (cheap) paper, but you probably won't save any money overall.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I think that the OP's question is simply this: Can he use say Ilford MGIV RC paper( the cheap stuff) to ascertain the right exposure or nearly right exposure for Ilford Art 300?

Am I right OP?

So anyone use both papers and if so is the emulsion the same or close enough for MGIV to be used?

pentaxuser
    Yes, that is my question.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Different papers have different characteristics, and therefore different exposure times.

The best way to save paper is to get one of the Darkroom Automation enlarging meters. Nicholas Lindan of this web site puts them on the market, and they are a very good product.
    It's a bit expensive at first, but quickly pays for itself.

- Thomas
    If I use a normal lightmeters that I have already?

Shooter
    35mm
    I sympathise with the OP. Ilford Art paper isn't cheap. So is there a surface that is close enough to the Art paper surface out of the MG range of Glossy, Pearl and Satin that will enable the OP to get very close to the right exposure. Of course this relies on the MG IV emulsion being the same or very similar to that of Ilford Art. Is it in terms of exposure characteristics. Maybe Simon Galley will respond here?

I am sure that ideally you should do test prints on the same paper but how close would the quick and dirty test of using MGIV get him?

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin