Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,685   Online: 859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Printing Sprocket Holes

Yes, I know, they're gimmicky, visually jarring, and all that. Still, I have some 35mm exposures from my Holga where there sprocket holes and rebate are also exposed. And I'd like to print some of these (in color). Could it be as simple as placing the 35mm frame into a 120 holder? I think I'd want to mask off the top and/or bottom edges, but how? Black construction paper and tape, or is there a more clever way, perhaps? Also -- not sure how to phrase this -- but will the light bleeding through the open holes cause any exposure problems? I'm using glassless carriers in an Omega C760 enlarger. Thanks.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    If you can use a glass carrier, or sheet of glass it is better. That keeps the film form flexing and going out of focus. Also, easier to mask.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You're doing dirty borders, no sense making them clean. Use the cheapest chipboard like Diane Arbus, maybe the edges of a box of paper. Then when they go to print your retrospective there will be no way to duplicate the result perfectly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use two sheets of thin, good quality, clear glass. At least one sheet can be anti-newton glass if you can get it. Anti-newton is not strictly necessary but helpful.

Use two pieces of thin, opaque material like construction paper. Cut them into two "L" shapes, like corners of a picture frame. Position them to mask off the negative. Use tape to carefully tape everything down, if necessary.

Make a "glass sandwich" with your film and carefully trap it in the gate of your enlarger.
    Don't let your enlarger slam shut or else... "CRACK!"

I have two sheets of clear glass, 6" x 6", which I bought just for the purpose.

The sprocket holes and outside edges of the aperture where there is no film shouldn't cause trouble unless you have too much light spillage. That's what the masking is for.
    Carefully done, those areas will just come out "dead black" like the way a contact sheet looks.
    Last edited by Worker 11811; 03-23-2013 at 10:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Holga negatives - flat - masked - ???

Nooo, nooo. Eschew a negative carrier altogether. Just push the strip into the gaping maw of the enlarger. Or as Bill suggests, make a carrier from ripped cardboard.

Now as for the enlarging lens, you need something like a plastic Isco lens, maybe a Fedar or Testrite. But even these have too many elements. I mean, how many elements does a Holga have? One, right. So it must be with the enlarging lens. So either remove the retaining rings from the lens and get rid of all those pesky extra elements (leave behind a positive one). Or just take a star drill and break out those superfluous surfaces - the scratches on the left-behind element will just add to the je ne sais quoi.

Hmmm ... maybe that third cup of espresso at breakfast was a mistake ...
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    I have also tried this effect, but I use a glass-carrier for medium-format and having adjustable film guides to hold 35mm film in the centre of the field. The carrier also has built-in masking devices on all four sides. Does the Omega have no masking arms? I appreciate Meopta and De Vere even more these days!

If you can replace the top part of the neg-carrier with a piece of thin polycarbonate (sold as secondary glazing, by the square metre/foot) it would help enormously to keep the film flatter, as the curve is usually "up" in the centre of the strip. Masking could then be black paper taped to the top of the plastic. If you are doing this as an infrequent thing, then there is no point seeking out thin and difficult to work with optical glass to make the carrier - and I won't mention the non-Carl Zeiss abilities of the Holga lens
    Last edited by MartinP; 03-23-2013 at 11:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the roll you just developed of mine, I'm planning on using my 6x6 carrier and tape some black cardstock on the sides to mask it down a little. I might use the other enlarger and use the glass carrier, but I don't know if I need to. I'm not that concerned with flatness and the same quality I am with other rolls. (yes, I'm doing them as B&W and also using "other" methods for color).

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Bethe, everyone. I think I will look at glass carriers, actually, although I appreciate that if I'm careful and the film isn't too curled, that I might be able to get away with a 6x6 carrier and some clever masking.

Yes, I do have the "non-Carl Zeiss" Holga (!). But actually, I probably have just as much 35mm from pinhole and homemade cameras, where the exposure also cover the edges. I uploaded an example (Tri-X, in this case, from a homemade pinhole camera) to show an example of what I'm trying to print.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0041-21.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Go to the glass shop or hardware store and get two pieces of glass as worker suggested. It should cost a couple of bucks. If you want to mask, great, but you won't really need to. A little stray light isn't going to reduce the contrast noticeably on a holga (: All that said, try the med format carrier. It might make the edges less focussed, but is that really a big deal here? It may enhance the look you want. The best way to learn about photography isn't asking a bunch of people on the internet the best way to do something, but trying it yourself and seeing what happens......at least that is true for me!
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Love the fuzz left and right, makes it feel like a 180-degree fisheye with grasses showing. Nicely done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin