Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,983   Online: 851

Shooter
    4x5 Format

LED & Sodium safelights

Hi all
    Please correct me on any of the things I'm going to say / ask.
    Are the Jobo Maxilux or Thomas Safelight at all safe to use w/ negative color materials? For short exposure? Longer exposure? I believe that I've read that they are, but not sure.
    Does the light from the Jobo Maxilux have a narrower wave length that a Thomas Safelight?Does this make it safer to use w/ B&W, Color? How hard would it be to make a DIY LED safelight that would be as safe as or possibly even better than manufactured safelights?
    Thank you, Jay Drew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Colour negative film is colour sensitive - therefore, there is no safe safelight for it. If I recall, a green safelight can be used with colour photographic paper but at very low wattage and for very limited time. It's much, much safer to handle it in the dark.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Duka Sodium safelights are safe with colour materials although you will need to do some trials with them to see how much light you can 'get away' with in your darkroom, and reflected light is also much better than direct light. It is also very important that they be allowed to fully warm up to get to the correct operating temperature which then provides the safest light. It is also important that you do not use them connected to your enlarger circuit that switches them off during an exposure or for focusing, this makes it a lot more difficult if you are using a colour analyser.

The LED safelights are typically designed to give a 590nm(ish) light and work very well with mono papers including multigrade. I have 2x Nova 5 Star units with 2x additional heads on each giving me six heads which are mounted at similar intervals around my 6ft x 7ft darkroom and aimed at the ceiling. At full power they do not fog my mono papers and I gave up testing after a 1/2 an hour exosure with max flashed paper did not show any fogging. I have not tried themfor colour yet as I have 2x Duka Sodium Units for that, although if I decide to use a colour analyser I may decide to try the LEDs instead. Their spiel suggests they should work.

Shooter
    35mm
    I will go along with the DUKA sodium option they are superb. The bulbs will be quite old now but they are still available at a price - £75 UK pounds from a company called Process Supplies in London. Google the name and see what else they have to offer.

http://www.processuk.net/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have used the Thomas Safelights with the appropriate filter for color materials just fine with RA-4. I tested it out to 4 minutes safe after enlarger exposure before any added fog was visible.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you all very much. That was extremely useful info. I thought I had read where Thomas safelights are very safe w/ B&W, & that some LED are barley save w/ color materials. Of course I would correctly test any combination of materials & darkrooms for light safety before use. I now know how to properly test for light safety. You don't just lay a quarter on an unexposed sheet of paper for a half an hour or so, & think it's just fine if the coin doesn't show up, as I did as a teenager. I am just blown away by being able to use any light when color material is out. Even as my skills increased working in total darkness, odd mishaps would occur where a small amount of light would be a God send to get out of a jam.
    Thank you, Jay Drew

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin