Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,403   Online: 747

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

How to prolong exposure time

I use Adox and Foma papers at the moment and my exposure times are measured in seconds. The problem is worse when splitgrade printing, since times for high and low contrast exposure get really short, shorter than my timer's precision.

I don't want to stop my enlarger lens below 3 stops (f8 or f11, depends on the lens) to keep it sharp. The head is colour with 12v (halogen) lamp, so no way to tweak the source either.

What else could I do?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -) use a grey filter

-) use a double polarizer filter

-) use a bulb of lesser wattage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not noticed sharpness degradation from stopping down the enlarger. Try it, you may surprise yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I asked a similar question recently and got the similar answers.
    as a result bought a £1 stepping ring for the lens so I can use a a polariser I already own - it's made all the difference and I now have sensible exposure times for otherwise tricky negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Faced with this sort of probem, I bought a two-stop neutral density filter. I have the good fortune that it fits all three of my enlarging lenses!

And like anikin, I also can't say I've noticed any issues with stopping down my enlarger more than commonly recommended.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    I have not noticed sharpness degradation from stopping down the enlarger. Try it, you may surprise yourself.
    I will try, but on paper I should actually open it to 5.6 it seems http://www.coinimaging.com/nikon_el50-28n.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [QUOTE=AgX;1481161]-) use a grey filter

I have tray for 7x7cm filters. Where could I get a ND gel filter?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What size prints are you making? Are your negs very thin?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    -) use a grey filter
    I have tray for 7x7cm filters. Where could I get a ND gel filter?

Lee Filters offer a range of ND lighting-filters (for use above the negative) with densities from 0.15 up to 1.2. They also come in sheets.

For use below the lens you can use either their plate or foil camera-filters in sizes up to from 75x9omm up to 150x150mm in densities up to 0.9 .
    Last edited by AgX; 03-31-2013 at 12:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    What size prints are you making? Are your negs very thin?
    I'm printing 6-10x enlarged 35mm film, I think it's of pretty normal density. The color head has a 100w halogen lamp, but the exact specifications are not given.

Anyway, I've been trying to figure something and it seems a layer of paper-towel tissue in the filter tray gives me an extra stop, two layers two stops...
    Need to check the heat though.
    Last edited by jernejk; 03-31-2013 at 01:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin