Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,964   Online: 1023

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

graded paper and colour head

Hello,
    I'd like to ask for help with my little problem - I am using a Phillips PCS 130 (or some such number) enlarger - it is not the best thing I think for multigrade printing, but works quite well and I am now used to it. Now, I have some remaining stock of graded paper (Fomabrom 111) - at what grade should I print this? I mean, in my old meopta (which I have sold due to lack of space in my tiny darkroom) I simply took out the filter of course, but here?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

A.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Doesn't matter, it will come out at its fixed grade no matter how you setup the enlarger. Adding filtration (especially yellow) in the enlarger head will just make your exposures longer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Most colour heads will have a lever or switch for (temporarily) turning off the filters, if not, perhaps 0C 0Y 0M?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    0C 0Y 0M?
    Exactly. Set all filters to 0.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all! Will try that - but the Philips enlarger doesn't work with C - M - Y, but R, G, B values - should be the same. I hope.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Philips uses an additive system, rather than moving the filters into the light path it had three lamps with fixed filters and the control unit changes the intensity of each lamp.

I would try turning all lamps up to maximum. Though I am not sure if the lamp with the red filter will havr much effect on the B&W paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed, set maximum on all three channels. The red will have negligible effect on the exposure but it should make the light whiter and brighter which may be helpful when composing and focussing.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Andreios, I expect that you have the manual for your Philips enlarger, just in case you don't here are some links to PDF's of the manuals:

Philips PCS150

Philips PCS130

A copy of an original UK advert for Philips enlargers.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin