Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,095   Online: 837

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mural Printing question

Hi all, as I've mentioned I'm printing 30x30" FB prints using a drop table setup and a Saunders 4500 with the color head. My one question is, how do you keep paper in register with the negative without an easel? I am using weights on the edges of the paper to hold it down, and found that I cut off about 4 inches of the image by accident last night. Any practical, easy suggestions? A strong Safelight filter over the lens while positioning the paper perhaps?
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used a piece of plywood that is bigger than the image. Align one of the corners of the plywood with corner of the image. Cut the paper and place on the plywood so that corner of the paper is aligned with the reference corner of the plywood. Tape the paper to the plywood. Make an exposure. Scrape off the tape and process the sheet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a couple of segments of 1-1/2" x 3/16" hot roll flat bar covered in gaffers tape.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Metal sheet with magnets to hold the paper, long heavy duty magnets.
    If you set it up right you will never make a mistake,
    your negative must be centered to your lightsource, condensors and lens or you will get falloff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the negative centered in a 4x5" AN glass carrier, using a EL-Nikkor 105mm/5.6, and a peak grain focuser. I'll try to track down a sheet of metal tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!

--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Magnetic whiteboard?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    If you are using a 4x5 negative with a 105mm lens I expect you will have trouble at the edges.
    150 mm will give you better coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    I have the negative centered in a 4x5" AN glass carrier, using a EL-Nikkor 105mm/5.6, and a peak grain focuser. I'll try to track down a sheet of metal tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob, I forgot to mention I'm printing from 6x6 hasselblad negs, I would of course be using a longer lens for 4x5.

--

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The lens you are using is great.
    I use an Apo Rodagon 90 for this purpose 2 1/4 square and get good coverage.
    Let me know where you find the large magnets, I can draw a diagram to show you how to set up for Murals that is no brainer, repeatable and will save you
    hours of grief. I am printing right now but will try to do the drawing this weekend and post.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    Bob, I forgot to mention I'm printing from 6x6 hasselblad negs, I would of course be using a longer lens for 4x5.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mural setup.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	67864
    Chris here you go.

The top left hand corner Magnets are most important, you set them just outside the image area and they are braced.
    You roll up the paper and put the top right corner into the angle formed by the Magnets, they should be braced by a smaller magnet behind so they do not move and you can set up your neg once and keep printing until the neg is finished.
    the holding magnets are smaller and you can see that you set them up on all four sides and ends and they are just outside of image area.

When exposure is done you take the right hand magnets off first and roll to the left taking off the magnets as you go but you do not move the main magnets from the left corner.

best regards

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin