Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,659   Online: 1153

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    the .1 seconds accounts for "dry down"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand having areas of "comfort" in the darkroom - even ones that aren't especially rational. I expect that there was once a logical reason for cliveh approaching things this way, and it somehow has become a habit.

This is really no different then some of the routines I use to help ensure consistency. The value is in the fact that they have become a routine, rather than the specific segments of the routine.

As long as cliveh isn't telling other people that they should/must approach things the same way, this is fine.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    As long as cliveh isn't telling other people that they should/must approach things the same way, this is fine.
    Of course not.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Coincidentally, I try to avoid odd, strange posts. Obviously, I'm not entirely successful.
    ROL,

Are you doing ok? Usually you give me something to think about, but this came across a bit off-putting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    When it comes to printing exposure times I try and avoid odd numbers. I realise this is a bit strange, as sometimes the correct time may require an odd number of seconds or points of a second. For example a print exposure that may require 5.3 seconds I would prefer to print at 4.8 seconds and perhaps over develop slightly. This is perhaps an extreme example, as I may alter the aperture to put it more in line with even numbers. I know this is strange behaviour, but do others suffer from similar number/behaviour preference?
    I avoid fractional aperture settings. I prefer to work in the time domain. Easier for me to multiply the time by 1.26 for a third stop than try and guess f6.3 on the aperture scale

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I avoid fractional aperture settings. I prefer to work in the time domain. Easier for me to multiply the time by 1.26 for a third stop than try and guess f6.3 on the aperture scale
    Ha yes, I always try to stay on click... Repeatable is what I am looking for. Yet it's impossible for me to achieve. My best hope is a few prints that fit together reasonably well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Ha, I just thought I was going to print tonight. Going to a friends house instead so that's out.
    That's sort of an "odd" coincidence. Same thing happened to me last night... thought I was going to print but my wife and daughter wanted to go out to dinner. Maybe tonight! I've been consumed with pinhole photos recently but it's time to make some more "normal" prints. I'm so slow at printing that it's important for me not to get too far behind.

I've developed a bunch of odd habits in the DR. I'm sure some of them are not "the best way" but they have become routine and that makes them useful. Like my eyes always go to the paper boxes before I open the door or turn on the light. My system of keeping track of how much paper has gone through the current batch of fixer would probably be undecipherable to anyone else, but it works and now it's habit. Some might be bad habits though... I don't let my test strips "dry down" and try to guess about that part and sometimes I miss.

I wonder if your base exposure is an even number, if it might be easier/quicker to think about D&B in terms of stops?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ha! I let the timer do the business in the DR, so I go with what that says...

but... The volume of the car radio... That HAS to be an even number (or a multiple of 5)

Sign me up to the OCD club Clive! :-)
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    I wonder if your base exposure is an even number, if it might be easier/quicker to think about D&B in terms of stops?
    It is easy, but sorry cliveh, some of these are odd numbers... From 32 for example I count backwards by third stops... 7, 5, 4, 3 seconds.

I haven't memorized the sequence, I have to refresh my memory every time by looking at the black dots I drew on the timer...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I try to keep my exposures in the 12-20 second range as a practical matter. I avoid the number 13. 13 has bad juju for me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin