Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,173   Online: 956

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Preference for printing exposure times

When it comes to printing exposure times I try and avoid odd numbers. I realise this is a bit strange, as sometimes the correct time may require an odd number of seconds or points of a second. For example a print exposure that may require 5.3 seconds I would prefer to print at 4.8 seconds and perhaps over develop slightly. This is perhaps an extreme example, as I may alter the aperture to put it more in line with even numbers. I know this is strange behaviour, but do others suffer from similar number/behaviour preference?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope. Whatever the print needs is the amount of seconds I use. I fail to see why this number should have any other criteria.

I use a metronome, so 1/2 second is about as precise as I can get.
    Using the f/stop method I aim for exposure times in the 20 to 40 second range, in order to be able to smoother apply burning and dodging maneuvers, and it effectively eliminates any inconsistency the use of a metronome introduces.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Nope. Whatever the print needs is the amount of seconds I use.
    Couldn't have said it better.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I use a metronome, so 1/2 second is about as precise as I can get.
    Using the f/stop method I aim for exposure times in the 20 to 40 second range, in order to be able to smoother apply burning and dodging maneuvers, and it effectively eliminates any inconsistency the use of a metronome introduces.
    Just like this, but split grade and not f/stop. I'm happy when the low contrast exposure falls between 20 and 30 seconds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To the second, aiming for 15-25 for the base exposure, if possible. Very occasionally a half second. For the base, I use a clock, and a metronome for all D&B.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i don't let time by my measure, i let the time needed be my measure

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Coincidentally, I try to avoid odd, strange posts. Obviously, I'm not entirely successful.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm happy when my base time for Grade 2 is around 32 seconds give or take a few "third-stops" - burn exposures up to around 50 seconds and dodges down around 16 seconds. All in "third-stops". Sometimes I'll pick a time in-between but mostly one of the marks.

I have a 60 second electromechanical timer, and a non-stabilized Aristo grid. So short times are out of the question for me. Any finer time distinctions are non-repeatable anyway.

I don't go out of my way to put exposures on the straight line of the film curve just to make this happen, I suppose I could if I wanted to.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ha, I just thought I was going to print tonight. Going to a friends house instead so that's out.

Too bad. Before they remodeled they had a darkroom in their garage.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    When it comes to printing exposure times I try and avoid odd numbers. I realise this is a bit strange, as sometimes the correct time may require an odd number of seconds or points of a second. For example a print exposure that may require 5.3 seconds I would prefer to print at 4.8 seconds and perhaps over develop slightly. This is perhaps an extreme example, as I may alter the aperture to put it more in line with even numbers. I know this is strange behaviour, but do others suffer from similar number/behaviour preference?
    Clive,

Have you considered talking to a professional about this?

It's a bit odd, but at the end of the day, no one but you (maybe) would probably notice the difference between 4.8 and 5.3 seconds so you might as well continue doing what you're doing. Everyone has quirks...I for one, think that keeping horizons and straight lines in an image is a must in most cases, and everyone going crooked for "artistic interpretation" or to be faithful to the negative (opting to shoot like a drunken fool), is a weirdo. We're all different, thank God.

Max

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin