Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,103   Online: 858
      
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 178
  1. #161
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,706
    Images
    14
    I too am a big fan of Mr Zuili work and style, I much prefer his work to the rocks,trees and water images that seems to be overwhelming here and on large format.


    Now if he started to take on that subject matter then I may change my mind.

    But I am a bit crazy myself as I only solarize film and print these days.

  2. #162

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,820
    I gave up on big grainy enlargements once Agfachrome 1000 was discontinued. I did some unrealistic but stunning portrait work with it on, of
    all things, matte Ciba, and never found any film even close to my liking afterwards. I don't care much for Diego Rivera simply because I'm tired
    of all that, since my aunt worked in a very similar style and I inherited a lot of her studies for the murals (about 40 murals are on the nat'l
    historic register, plus all the major museums have samples - so basically no more "social realism" for me - as much as I loved my aunt and
    discussed art with her. She was still painting watercolors even on her deathbed, and every one of them was immediately sold right off the little pad for significant sums of money. I am a "rocks and trees" guy myself, who loves hauling an 8x10 up hills and thru brush, but in a much more intense sense than the postcard crowd, and have actually unnerved a few viewers by the complexity of the compositions. Think I'd
    go insane without a darkroom.

  3. #163
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,796
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Our local photography gallery has a McCurry show on, they have a bunch of the 30x40 size, darn nice.

    Makes me want to buy a roll of 40" paper.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  4. #164
    Matthew Cherry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    70
    This is what happens when engineers with cameras have a discussion with artists with cameras...

    But I suppose that's par for the course.

    It's not about pixel/grain peeping (does the world really need one MORE just so perfect exposure of a banal landscape?) it's about content and narrative and how those factors make you feel.

  5. #165
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,005
    Images
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Cherry View Post
    This is what happens when engineers with cameras have a discussion with artists with cameras...

    But I suppose that's par for the course.

    It's not about pixel/grain peeping (does the world really need one MORE just so perfect exposure of a banal landscape?) it's about content and narrative and how those factors make you feel.
    +1


    ~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  6. #166

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Cherry View Post
    This is what happens when engineers with cameras have a discussion with artists with cameras...

    But I suppose that's par for the course.

    It's not about pixel/grain peeping (does the world really need one MORE just so perfect exposure of a banal landscape?) it's about content and narrative and how those factors make you feel.
    What the world definitely doesn't need is more ridiculous comments like this. There is a reason APUG has more than one forum. We all know content is the purpose of making a photograph. This is an enlarging forum, about enlarging, and the technical skills and issues that go along with it.

  7. #167
    Matthew Cherry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    What the world definitely doesn't need is more ridiculous comments like this. There is a reason APUG has more than one forum. We all know content is the purpose of making a photograph. This is an enlarging forum, about enlarging, and the technical skills and issues that go along with it.

    My apologies, Michael, I will do my best to refrain from such comments in the future.

    However, I would like to point out that others before me most certainly made this about more than the mere technical, by discussing (to put it kindly) the aesthetic value of work that may not meet their technical standards. I am of the opinion that to divorce the technical from the aesthetic, and therefore the artistic, is a huge mistake that has gone on far too long, not only in the photographic community in general, but in photographic education in particular.

    If you'll be so gracious as to indulge me for a moment...

    For quite some time now, the aspiring student of photography, when deciding upon a course of education, is asked what at first seems like a simple question: "Do you want to be a commercial photographer or do you want to be an artist?"

    If the answer is that you would like to be a commercial shooter (you know, a complete sell-out whore like myself) who charges folks to take photographs, then you are routed to a predominantly technical curriculum, with very little education in the arts, even, if it can be believed, the canon of art photography. If the young student says they want to be an artist, then they are sent down the path of the MFA where they get an amazing education in the arts - unfortunately, when they graduate, they don't even have the technical skills to assist a working photographer.

    I see this in students all the time.

    It is my contention that the pedagogy is wrong, and that this view permeates our views of photography, as evidenced by this discussion. If one views themselves solely as a technician, devoid of artistic intent, or solely as a creative with no ability to produce the work the envision, then I suppose this world view is fine. However for anyone who see themselves as both a competent craftsman and an artist, then it is as ridiculous as the tangential debate going on here.

    You say we all know that content is the purpose of making a photograph, however, I'm not sure if that's true. I'm not basing this statement on this thread, or on those in this thread, merely by having spent years helping to educate other photographers. There are many who give very little thought to content and who only seem to appreciate the technical.

    But then what do I know, I enjoy Avedon's work... I'm sure I (along with my clients and the galleries that represent me) am a total hack who should just keep his opinions to himself. Apparently my time would be much better spent plotting a paper curve...
    Last edited by Matthew Cherry; 07-17-2013 at 10:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #168

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Cherry View Post
    My apologies, Michael, I will do my best to refrain from such comments in the future.
    Speaking only for myself, please do not do so.

    The criticism (as I read it) was just about context. Without that, APUG gets mired in long-standing tensions in *every* sub-forum. There is much to discuss/debate/argue in mechanics-vs-art. But that debate is not well suite to a forum on mechanics.

    One of my quibbles with this (otherwise excellent) forum format is the lack of a way to note: following up in other sub-forum. The need comes up at least weekly, but the mechanism is not yet there.

  9. #169
    Matthew Cherry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by DLawson View Post
    Speaking only for myself, please do not do so.

    The criticism (as I read it) was just about context. Without that, APUG gets mired in long-standing tensions in *every* sub-forum. There is much to discuss/debate/argue in mechanics-vs-art. But that debate is not well suite to a forum on mechanics.

    One of my quibbles with this (otherwise excellent) forum format is the lack of a way to note: following up in other sub-forum. The need comes up at least weekly, but the mechanism is not yet there.
    I understand completely. I wasn't being facetious, I will, in fact, do my very best to adhere more strictly to the topic at hand.

    But for the life of me I wouldn't know how to do so in this case, without also having a conversation on artistic intent or aesthetics or, for that matter, what is important in a photograph.

    The answer to "How large can you print from a 35mm negative?" is not, to my way of thinking at least, simply a matter of math.

  10. #170
    richard ide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,216
    It is 100% technical. Aesthetics should not enter the discussion at all.
    Richard

    Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin