Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,828   Online: 1148

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    No. Because having to slow down and put a view camera on a tripod forces you into a totally different mode of visualization.
    I've noticed having 36 exposures at hand rather than 3600 will do that too.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Try having one exposure on hand. A sniper given a single bullet is far more likely to hit the bullseye than some Sad Sack with a machine gun.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What you call "a lot of hooey" and "test strips" would probably be an epiphany if you ever saw them. I have never taken a photograph of a
    brick wall.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Avedon made his In the American West Series with an 8x10. His prints were then on fibre paper. I think he hit the nail on the head with that series.
    I think he is one of the Great American Photographers.

No. Because having to slow down and put a view camera on a tripod forces you into a totally different mode of visualization. When I want fast response, I simply reach for my Nikon. My brother did use a 4x5 Technika handheld quite a bit, but for different commercial objectives than on a tripod, back when this kind of practice was commonplace. Most of the big museum & airport installations etc I see wildly blown up make me
    nauseated. It was Avedon that started that trend way back when (he had the predictably pretentious mind of an advertising photographer). And now that we're in the Pop art redux mode (courtesy of Fauxtoshop & inkjet), it's become a plague. Something else besides size has to
    make it happen - the color or form or message has to warrant it. That is rarely the case. Big just to be big is pointless. I guess if someone
    just wants a big loud photograph above the sofa cause they can't afford a painting ....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Avedon should have stayed in neurotic NYC with his fashionista friends. His American West series was utterly corny and had no affinity for his subject matter, which he treated like just another advertising commodity. I completely agree with Kertesz in classifying him as a Zero. Smart-yes, but in gaming the system.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I think he is one of the Great American Photographers.
    +1

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Well the first time Drew that I think you are completely full of it.

Generally you have great perspective but I fully disagree with you and Kertez.
    Avedon should have stayed in neurotic NYC with his fashionista friends. His American West series was utterly corny and had no affinity for his subject matter, which he treated like just another advertising commodity. I completely agree with Kertesz in classifying him as a Zero. Smart-yes, but in gaming the system.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I also think you should get inside more as that West Coast sunshine must be baking your brain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try having one exposure on hand. A sniper given a single bullet is far more likely to hit the bullseye than some Sad Sack with a machine gun.
    Come on drew, lets be a bit more fair.

How about 1 exposure per print wanted.

How about a trip to the boat drags where we want a series of 24 prints of the first 3 seconds of the drag race?

And just to be captain obvious for a moment, mirror slap and recoil are slightly different in magnitude, the former has little effect on aim while the latter is arguably a big reason machine gunners find it tougher to hit bulls-eyes , the other big reason being lack off precise aiming apparatus.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    West Coast sunshine???, Bob... I'm sitting here truly on the West Coast with my office heaters on full blast. It's even cooler and more windy at
    home, where it's in the 50's on a typical summer afternoon. Microclimates. Just fifteen miles away over the ridge it might be fifty degrees hotter.
    I have a seminar with a varnish mfg from Michigan in a couple of days where I have to explain this microclimate scenario. They just think Canada versus Florida... But Avedon, Mr soot and chalk nontonality in person... wish someone would have put a brahma rodeo bull between that
    stupid white backdrop he used and his 8x10 (which should have had a red bellows). Same with Mr Avedon ... he was just looking for
    specimens, and had no concept of all the myriad "microclimates" of culture he passed thru. Only a New Yorker would think that everything
    past a New Jersey recycling dump is the "West".

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin