Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,292   Online: 817

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

40x60'' prints from 35 mm.

Steve Mc Curry is undoubtedly a great photographer, but offering such big prints from 35 mm seems pushing it a bit. Surely, the quality at such sizes must suffer terribly. I've done this with 6x7, but 35mm?. What do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fastw View Post
    Steve Mc Curry is undoubtedly a great photographer, but offering such big prints from 35 mm seems pushing it a bit. Surely, the quality at such sizes must suffer terribly. I've done this with 6x7, but 35mm?. What do you think?
    Which qualities?

Does the composition fall apart? Color?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have made prints in the size of 140x210cm from 35mm film (55x82"). Looks great.
    It may not be a good idea to make such a large print from the woman you love. It can look rather coarse but may fit well to streetphotography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did an RA-4 34x48" print from 400 ASA Agfa film using a Rodagon-WA 60mm on Kodak glossy Endura. It looked absolutely fantastic. Grainy, yes, but in a kind of pleasing way. The photographer said the print completely brought her about a decade back to the day in Prague when she shot it, and it wasn't a city vista, just a simple intimate observation of an unusual interior. Guess the overall "quality" was good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If people are buying them, it doesn't matter what we think.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Were those pictures taken with 35mm film?

Quote Originally Posted by fastw View Post
    Your initial instincts are correct. I would hazard to guess that most of the better photographers on this forum would never make a 40"x60* enlargement from a 35mm negative unless it was some kind of special circumstance. There is a reason there is a Large format section of the forum and an Ultra Large Format section.

My question though is what makes you think he is making those types of enlargements from 35mm film? I am no expert but I thought he used a 24.5+ megapixel DSLR and a 39 megapixel Hasselblad. I'm sure he has plenty of 35mm film images from back in the day but I didn't see any indication that they are available for sale in that size. Is there a particular image in his gallery that you know for certain was taken on 35mm film and is for sale in that size? Like I said I am no expert so someone who is familiar with his work would have to point out the 35mm film images that are for sale.

From what I saw in his gallery I personally don't think his work would benefit from big grain. I'm not a huge fan of grain but it can certainly look good with B&W film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    I would hazard to guess that most of the better photographers on this forum would never make a 40"x60* enlargement from a 35mm negative unless it was some kind of special circumstance.
    I'd hazard a guess that you are wrong.

Sure there are a fair number that wouldn't but so what?

Not everybody sticks their nose up to the print looking for grain, believe it or not some people, especially buyer actually stand back and look at the picture.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Not everybody sticks their nose up to the print looking for grain, believe it or not some people, especially buyer actually stand back and look at the picture.
    Before you go off on a protracted argument can we at least establish whether Steve McCurry is even selling 35mm film prints in 40"x60" sizes? I mean he has taken literally hundreds of thousands of photographs (or more) and there are about 100 available for sale on his website. The guy has his own page on the Hasselblad website! Some bad information about the artist may have been posted on the internet. Why don't we establish the facts before we argue?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    not sure why it matters to whom and why and how, and how much ...
    its great that people are buying big traditional prints!

guillaume zuili here on this forum has been making very large 35mm prints
    maybe even the same size as mentioned in the OP ... pinhole negative, lith printed, 3200 speed ...
    and from all reports they are exquisite !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    not sure why it matters to whom and why and how, and how much ...
    It matters. We should be telling the truth about people's art on the internet. I really wouldn't appreciate it if I went through the time trouble and expense to create a particular piece of artwork with what I perceived to be the very highest practical quality materials and then someone came along and started claiming it was produced with some other low cost common material. If someone likes making 40"x60" prints from 35mm negatives that's their business but if this guy is using a digital Hasselblad people shouldn't be going around implying it is 35mm film. Some of the 40"x60" source material appears on the Hasselblad website. Are there shots in the gallery that the OP, you or anyone else can say for certain came from a 35mm negative? If not then what exactly is being discussed?!

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin