Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,488   Posts: 1,571,326   Online: 833

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Neg I Want Is Always On The End Of The Strip

How come it seems like every negative I want to print is on the end of the strip? I cut my film in strips of six, so the "keepers" have a one-in-three chance of being either the first or last frame of any given strip. It's so annoying.

The same thing has been happening with my slide copying experiments: I don't mount my slides; instead, I cut them in strips of six slides per strip. When I want to copy either the first or last frame on a strip, it's much harder to keep the film lined up and flat.

How does one combat this problem? Is it worth it to cut the keepers off of the strip and store them separately? Do glass holders help keep strips of film from trying to fall out of the holder and getting crooked?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hehe, I feel your pain because I have thought the exact same thing.

I just try to place the neg as best as possible, and make minor adjustments once the holder is in the enlarger.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't understand the problem. If the neg is in the middle, or at the end of a strip, when in the neg carrier it is flat.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just cut the negative strips short a bit, wont look nice, but you will have your frames you like not on the ends. I do this to avoid having to cut frames that maybe be spaced to close and not worth the risk spiting them. The sleeves I buy are 7 rows of 6 exposures. and usually I can fit them all in that.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Get a glass negative holder and additionally you can use a small piece of tape to hold the strip in place.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I know the feeling. Total random nature should prevail but it's the Murphy's Law at work here.

I have the Paterson negative file pages for 35mm which allows 7 strips of 6. When I KNOW there is a valuable shot, I will buffer it by cutting the strip before at 5 frames and have the good shot followed by a dud.

It's important because scissors are imprecise and can sometimes take a bit of image with them. Also gives a little fingerprint protection to the good shot.

At the end or if there is an empty frame, I will cut a generous clear space to grab onto.

I am not Obsessive Compulsive about it, but I have the option available to me when I think clearly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The others are for "warming up". Like a pianist or a dancer warming up. You're find out want you want by shooting what you don't want. I'm like that too.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first reaction was "HA!" It is amazing how often that happens. If one cuts one's film in say seven five frame strips, assuming 35 mm, that means 14 frames are on the ends. That's less than half, yet it seems more than half the time we are printing end frames. It's a mystery.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mine keepers sometimes land in the middle of a 3-exposure 6x6 120 strip, which makes it nigh-on impossible to manipulate the strip in my negative carrier. If the neg on either side isn't a keeper or technically duff (underexposed etc) I tape a strip of light card to the strip. Otherwise I just have to live with it. Its rarely a problem for me with 35mm because I cut into strips of 5 which sticks out from either side of the carrier. Sailor Vee...

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    35mm
    I cut mine in strips of 5, but also leave the blank film at the end of a roll for handling-usually gives me 2 frames & a handle area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin