Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,466   Posts: 1,570,712   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How to make color prints less contrasty?

Hi,

I'm fairly new with enlargers and stuff. And I find my prints too shiny, too rich in colors, they look like high quality digital photos to me, I like simpler colors more, I'm using fujicolor crystal archive papers. Is there a way to reduce the contrast, get an old newspaper look on my prints? Something similar to this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	182301_599238960087945_839696370_n.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	68539
    Maybe use another paper, or another film (I'm using ektachrome e100g)?

Thanks a lot.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You could use tissue or diffusion under your lens to create a muted look.

could be full exposure or partial, you would need to play a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    how exactly are you printing slide film onto fuji crystal archive using an enlarger?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    sorry, I meant to say Kodak gold 200

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Either look for a softer contrast P (portrait) paper, or in the future switch to a softer film itself, like Portra 160. There are different types of Crystal Archive paper. It might take some experimentation to find the specific match you like best.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would preflashing help? I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes it would. You also could pre flash a colour in , which is what we use to do a lot with fashion work.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Would preflashing help? I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Didn't PE mention developer changes to affect contrast? I think it was at the expense of greatly reduced life of the developer though.

I miss the variety of films we used to have. Agfa Portrait 160 was a good film for the kind of look the OP is after. But we have the Portras and Ektar and that's something, at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hencz View Post
    sorry, I meant to say Kodak gold 200
    Use Portra. It's higher resolution and has a more "realistic" palette. This is film not digital. You are not shooting a RAW file that you can manipulate in Photoshop. I scanned for a long time before I started doing darkroom printing. I haven't done any color printing. But with my B&W negatives once I started printing I changed films, developers, personal exposure index, and developing time and agitation method. Obviously with C-41 unless you are feeling really adventurous a lot of that will not change but choice of film and personal EI may. Get things as right in the camera as possible and you will make your life a lot easier in the dark room.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree, switch to Portra 160, Portra 400 and Porta 800 if you want to lower the contrast and have the photographs look realistic.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin