Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,719   Online: 816

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Darko & Mark - that's good advice.

Thanks again, Andy
    Last edited by rwreich; 05-14-2013 at 10:03 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: didn't want to leave out thanks for Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are comparing the time in the darkroom to the time with your family, then the number of prints you come up with is irrelevant. In other words, if you take 10 hours away from your family to be in the darkroom, it doesn't matter whether you come up with 10 prints or 1 print. Or even 100 prints.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps, pbromaghin. There must be a balance and an accounting of the cost. And that's the whole reason why I'm trying to work all of this out. Everyone must make choices, but to do so without weighing those costs is truly irresponsible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You miss my point.

The cost is the number of hours. You know what that is, so weigh it. The number of prints produced by that cost does not change the cost, and so does not enter into the calculation. Otherwise you are weighing a number of prints against time taken from your family. That is the irresponsible trade off.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 05-14-2013 at 11:49 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarity.

Don Juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    rwreich,

Yes, I know what you mean as well when it comes to having a reasonable expectation of my own work. But, this is my hobby and passion. I get carried away. Just a little darker here, little lighter here, a bit more contrast.... oh crap! - kind of thing. Before I know it 8 hours has passed and I spent half of my paper stock. It's frustrating and fun at the same time. I define hobby as not being constrained by anyone's expectation other than mine. That's what I do. I also work slowly. I don't have to make money out of this so time isn't money.

Do what makes you happy....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Forums like this make it difficult to convey inflection or personality. I'm as amicable as I can be.

I'm not missing your point. I'm just not making this a thread about the quality of my parenting. I appreciate the input, but don't read into my statement about trade-offs too much.

I'm in the planning stages of marketing photography and darkroom services, so I'm comparing the experiences of those who may know best.

It's a job like any other, let's just keep it on topic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tkamiya: that's exactly it. I appreciate your perspective. In the end, I don't want to spend more time than it's worth, although, I am sure that there will be prints that will need extra special attention.

For most of my life, I've been a professional violinist. I know how much time it takes to perfect something and, alternatively, how much time it takes to make it performance ready.

Efficiency is about maximizing return for efforts, and at some point you cross the point of diminishing returns. I was asking for average time in the DR for one print so that I'd have some point of comparison for that measurement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwreich View Post
    I'm in the planning stages of marketing photography and darkroom services, so I'm comparing the experiences of those who may know best.

It's a job like any other, let's just keep it on topic.
    Oh, so it's a job, not a hobby. That's an entirely different set of calculations.

Don Juan

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, Pbromaghin. I'm sorry that I didn't make that clearer. Please accept my appologies.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^With that said, I am a weekend analog'er so take my info with a grain of salt because if I was selling prints my approach would be much different.
    Andy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin