Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,520   Online: 968

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If my wife tell me that, I'll tell her to leave the house I'll keep all enlarger...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    Why'd you let her know you had five enlargers in the first place? Before you move I am sure you can jumble the parts up good enough so you can keep four of them. And stash number five at a pal's place. You need to keep the honor of the male in the age-old male/female divide. If you don't dodge and weave what will be next -- those 17 Canon/Leica/Nikon/Pentax or whatever cameras? Those 300 rolls of Kodachrome, unshot? This is serious stuff.
    Partly why I'm willing to get rid of the enlargers. She is letting me keep the camera's, strobes, softboxes, backgrounds and such. I know if I don't give on something here I could find it all missing.

plus 5 enlargers are a little hard to hide even more so the 45MCRX.

I admit I'm lost here on suggestions though. It seems everyone is in agreement with keeping the 45MCRX. regarding the others though whats so special about the Beseler 67 or the Beseler 23C II? I don't know enough about any of them to be honest other then I know some will do larger formats then others and some do color if you get the right head and some do color up front as is. Otherwise though what really makes the 23c or the 67 worth keeping with the 45?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having two enlargers is really useful. You can set up each enlarger for a different favourite format or workflow, or you can use one for flashing and the other for exposure, or you can set up one for negatives that benefit from a higher contrast light source and the other for negatives that benefit from a diffused light source or ....

And the advantage of the 23C II is that it will print up to 6 x 9 (2.25" x 3.25"), so it and the 45MCRX will be able to both cover almost all the medium format choices.

I like the Beseler 67 - I've owned one since the 1970s, and if my darkroom was permanent and had the space, I would have it set up with my Omega D6. I just think that the 23C II and 45MCRX duo is the most effective. I believe as well that they share the same lens boards.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Alternatively, you could move to Australia and I could "store" some of that stuff for you!

(I only have three pairs of shoes, so there's plenty of room )

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Perhaps it time to pickup #6, that will teach her.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a big +1 for keeping the 23C II and 45MCRX. That will cover you for a number of formats and the few parts that are interchangable is an added bonus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you used any of them? Which do you like best? Which is in best condition? Which has the most useful accessories?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    only two? I'd keep the Omega and the big Beseler 45. Then find someway to keep the Durst too! MAybe hide it in the garage?

I've got an enlarger stashed in the attic and one in a storage shed in another county.

My wife an I have an arrangement: I don't complain about her shoes and hand bag habit and she doesn't complain about my camera and enlarger habits. It works for us.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another vote for the Beseler pair. Frankly, if push came to shove, I'd keep the Beseler 45 MCRX and let all the rest go. You could pick up a dichro head for it for around $300 +/- and you'd have everything you want to do covered (variable contrast, color, b/w, 35mm, 2 1/4, 4x5) that you can do with an enlarger. If you really want to keep two, I'd keep the 23C and the 45MCRX. The Beseler 67 and Omega B600 are fine if you need a lighter-weight enlarger that you can move in and out of a temporary darkroom on a regular basis, but they're not the most stable in the world. I currently have a Beseler 45-series enlarger, and a 23C II (I think it's an XL, but I don't remember - it's not currently in use). They're both solid as rocks (the 23C was an enlarger of choice for many school darkrooms, so that ought to tell you something about how rugged they are). I just don't use the 23C because I can do everything it does with the 45, and more, and the space where it was is now taken by my UV exposure unit. The one thing that would be convenient to have interchangeable between the two Beselers that isn't is the negative carriers. Not a big deal when you're only shooting 1 or 2 formats, but when you get into 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 4x5, 35mm, and 24x56mm (Xpan negatives), your negative carrier collection explodes. But yes, the lens boards are interchangeable between the two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm waiting for the day when the post starts: My HUSBAND says I have to get rid of a couple of enlargers, cameras, etc. I'm sure there's many reasons for this. I'm lucky my wife is interested in photography too, so our usual problem is who is going to use which camera, or lens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin