Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,129   Online: 873

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let me preface by remarks by saying I've only used a Beseler 23C III and 45mxt (not the latest iteration).

The Beseler 45 is a rock solid piece of machinery that works for everything up to 4x5. The other thing is it is American and still manufactured. The 23C is also American and still manufactured. As was mentioned the 23C covers most of the normal medium format sizes. With that duo you can enlarge just about anything you will ever shoot. It is nice to have different enlargers set up for different formats. If someone was in Europe I would recommend a European model that had plenty of parts in the used market over there.

The Durst might be worth keeping if you really plan on doing color in the future. Depending on your geographic region enlargers and enlarger accessories can go for next to nothing. But the problem I have found is sometimes the thing you need for whatever reason just doesn't pop up when you need it. You already have a color setup. Unless you can get a good price for it or swap it for the same price as a Beseler color head I would be reluctant to let it go.

If I were you I would research what makes a good enlarger. One thing you seem to be overlooking is how solid the support column(s) is. The Beselar 45 is solid. The Beseler 23C is pretty respectable. It is the choice for many institutions. I don't see the Beseler 67CP being in the same league.
    Last edited by Noble; 05-23-2013 at 03:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: too verbose!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only have space to use two enlargers (both Beseler M series of different vintages). I have my Durst M605 and F30 packed away. I'd probably keep the 45 and then choose between the 23C and the baby Durst based on future space/format needs. This assumes that the enlargers are complete and do not have any special wish lists for obscure carriers or condensers. That is where the Beselers score in N.America - they are ubiquitous.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format

better watch out...

Quote Originally Posted by MARKNABIA View Post
    If my wife tell me that, I'll tell her to leave the house I'll keep all enlarger...
    ... she heard you say that!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKNABIA View Post
    If my wife tell me that, I'll tell her to leave the house I'll keep all enlarger...
    That would be my solution of choice.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh the misogyny in this thread...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Misogyny? Misogyny?

There is no requirement that one has to renew the contract with their significant other year year. Even women are allowed to declare themselves free agents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Misogyny? What woman would not want her husband to have an enlarger?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Being the wisenheimer wno was single in an earlier post, I also knew as that same single man that a good wife is a blessing. I'd allow my entire house and contents to be jacked up and hauled away in trade for one. Then I'd go re-buy another enlarger, maybe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have my darkroom, and my wife has her recording space. Big computer, software instruments, real instruments, mics, mixers, the lot. She's good too 8-)
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Have you used any of them? Which do you like best? Which is in best condition? Which has the most useful accessories?
    Sadly I haven't used most of them. So far only have had one house that I was able to get a darkroom setup in but we have moved since then and so the stuff has been playing tag along till I we get another house that I can setup a darkroom in. Think I finally found one though :-)
    So far the only one I have had the pleasure of using was the b600 and that was mainly cause it was nice light and easy to carry and I had the stuff that went to it sitting right next to me. Honestly I'm not sure what all I have for the other enlargers though but honestly I'm sure have have most anything I need. The stuff I bought came with boxes upon boxes of stuff and I still havent' been able to go through all of it yet. This came from a lot that was donated to a school. The schoo switched to digital and just wnated to get rid of it. So I picked up 5 enlargers tons of timers, trays a couple lens's and I know multiple negative carriers and much more for about $50. This was a couple years ago though.

Right now another problem though is cash. I wouldn't mind picking up a color head for the 45 or the 23 but I'm broke and was just recently laid off. I can't afford another head currently which is partly why I was thinking of the 45 and the durst. at least that way I've got it covered for most any format and then if I want to switch to color I have the durst for that. Might try to fenagle my way into keeping three of them but I'm not sure how well that will go. Could use the money from selling them also.

One thing I did notice about the 45 though is the motor makes a burning smell once it gets near the top of it's range. On the wya down it's fine and as long as you stay near the bottom of the range it's ok but the closer you get to the top the slower it goes and the more it stinks. I saw something about an adjustment or spring that goes out of adjustment but couldn't find any other information on how to fix that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin