Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,070   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Wife says can keep 2 of 5 enlargers. Rest need to go as we are moving. Help please

I have a couple enlargers and right now not sure which would be the best to hold on to. She says I can keep two of them but right now I'm at a loss as to which two to keep. Can you all lend a hand.

I deal mostly with 35mm stuff but plan on upgrading one of these days to get medium format equipment and even if possible something large format.

The enlargers I have on the block are a
    Durst M370 color (was thinking of keeping this as is just for the color aspect)
    Besler 45MCRX (has both condensor and cold light heads)
    Besler 23CII
    Besler 67CP
    Omega B-600 (one I've been using the most just cause it was there and first one I grabbed)

Any suggestions on which you guys would keep and why or what the differences really are between them?

Thank you much for your support

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep the Beseler 45MCRX and the Durst. The Durst has a dichro head on it I assume, which makes VC printing with a diffused light-source a snap, and the 45MCRX can do what ever the the 23C and the 67 can as well. The fact you have a cold light and condensor is good, and it is adaptable to a dichro head or maybe even the fancy new LED heads that are being sold over here at some point. I've found every 23C I've ever used (23C, CII, CIII, CIIIXL) to be rickety and imprecise in comparison to my 45M (original version of the MCRX)...

Can't speak to the B-600 as I've never used one, but they look like they're on the same level as a Beseler Printmaker, or other similarly priced entry-level condensor enlarger. The Durst isn't really a Durst, but it's still a Durst, if you get my drift, which means it's made to a higher standard than other entry-level equipment. Like I said, the fact it has a diffusion head on it is a plus for variety as well.

My 2¢.

Edit: the 45MCRX also has you covered out to 4x5 format, obviating the need to worry about getting another enlarger if you went up to LF. Other pluses include easy to source spare parts, and cheap lensboards.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Beseler 45MCRX and the Beseler 23CII would give you 4x5 through sub-miniature capacity, and some interchangeability of parts.

And colour heads are available for both enlargers.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Not really into the sub minature stuff. Only have 35mm for now and if anything I would rather go larger. With that is there anything the 23C II would do or any advantage for it over the 45MCRX other then size?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7speed View Post
    Not really into the sub minature stuff. Only have 35mm for now and if anything I would rather go larger. With that is there anything the 23C II would do or any advantage for it over the 45MCRX other then size?
    Well, don't discount size .

I find 4x5 enlargers aren't necessarily ideal for 35mm (or smaller).

I wouldn't recommend the 23CII over the 45MCRX. I would recommend the two of them as they complement each other well.

And the 23C series enlargers are so prevalent that there are lots of accessories available.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Keep 3, and she'll live with it. Include the Beseler 67 in the "keep" pile. Along with the 2 that the other guys say. Call it a compromise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just though of something perfectly awful, but I'm not married, and I'm saying this on account of the women around where I live. My compromise with any of these women around here, if one was my wife--that I will keep 3 enlargers, and trim it down to 2, if she lost the same amount of weight as the third enlarger weighs. (hope I don't get thrown off here).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have four enlargers. My wife just stays the hell out of my darkroom and I stay the hell out of her office ...

having said that -- if you do a lot of 35, do yourself a favor and find a Leitz Focomat IC. Keep the 4 by 5 and the 6 by 7.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I'm not married
    Speaking for myself, as a married man, I can tell that you aren't.

Shooter
    35mm
    Does she get to keep all her shoes.......?
    WJS/wi/usa

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin