Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,302   Online: 906

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Video taping a WOW moment in darkroom

Hi, everybody.... I'm looking for an idea on what is seemingly (and maybe so) impossible to do.

One of the "magic moment" in darkroom processing is when exposed paper hits the developer tray and the image shows up slowly. It's usually a WOW moment. Can anyone think of a way to video tape this moment? I don't have anything like night-vision type equipment.

I'm thinking this just isn't possible but I'm posting here just in case someone knows a way to pull this off.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Really bright red safelight, and just know that your highlights will be a little degraded on that print... Just hope that's not noticeable on the video.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's paper, so it shouldn't be IR sensitive. Ditch the safelight try the video with a camcorder in "nightshot" mode. No fogging worries since the paper is at best blue-green sensitive.

Not sure if it will work or not due to the print being wet - doesn't water absorb some IR? Oh well if you already have a camcorder that can do this, you lose nothing but your time.

Other option: Develop and fix the print as normal, wash it, then use a ferricyanide bleach on it. Rewash, then redevelop with the lights on while you take your video.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    Other option: Develop and fix the print as normal, wash it, then use a ferricyanide bleach on it. Rewash, then redevelop with the lights on while you take your video.

Woooo..... that's interesting! I'm gonna try this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    It's paper, so it shouldn't be IR sensitive. Ditch the safelight try the video with a camcorder in "nightshot" mode. No fogging worries since the paper is at best blue-green sensitive.

Not sure if it will work or not due to the print being wet - doesn't water absorb some IR? Oh well if you already have a camcorder that can do this, you lose nothing but your time.

I have often thought that this would work, but keep on hitting the stumbling block of 'if it did work, why is no-one doing it'.

I would like to hear if anyone has actually tried either video via IR light or even using night vision glasses in the dark room.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Use a DSLR to make the video - quality models film well above EI 3200.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ^^yup... a dslr works... great. at iso 3200... with a one of those jr safelights, really close... tons of 'noise' in the final video, but it works... also i think i used a 50mm 1.8 lens... set it up on a tripod, and worked with that. as was mentioned before, i'm pretty sure it wasn't perfect in the highlights, but not very noticeable unless next to another print, and then only if they are next to each other.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    what i wanted to say was that it works, not great, but it does work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, but I don't own a DLSR late enough to have a video mode. Best I can do is to borrow a consumer grade video cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hmmm, maybe talk to a friend who might enjoy watching it actually happen, and learn a thing or two, in exchange for documenting it. Or you rent one out. sorry, someone else might have a better suggestion, i don't know if a video camcorder will have the sensitivity or the lens, with an 'aperture' large enough for the low light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin