Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,222   Online: 1202

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    And speaking of view cameras and ground glass, using the bottoms of my progressives is a PITA under the cloth, and I often forget my dedicated reading glasses. If you see someone with their head under the cloth and their glasses dangling out held from holding the temples in their teeth, it's probably me or another nearsighted prysbopic photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I have a Magnasight but more often use a (cheap basic) grain focuser. Since I'm very nearsighted, I normally take my glasses OFF, as otherwise I have to use the bottoms of my progressive lenses and it still isn't as sharp as my near vision with my glasses off. So far it seems to work.
    Yes, I take mine off too, and take them off now to read.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Yes, I take mine off too, and take them off now to read.
    I can read without mine but prefer my reading glasses, or my regular progressives for short periods, because my left eye has best focus at about 6" and my right eye at 9". There is no location where both are completely sharp. I can find a workable compromise, and you'll see me do that if I read fine print on a label in a store or the like, with glasses propped on my forehead, but it doesn't work well to sit and read a book. Not to mention, it would have to be 6-9" away which is pretty close to hold a book for an hour.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In the darkroom I use a grain focusser and don't have any problems, but, I have found that when I use MF (Hasselblad), as I get older I have a harder and harder time seeing sharp focus in the viewfinder - I found that a split prism screen helped a lot. I wonder if there is a similar thing available for an enlarging focusing scope?

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you see someone with their head under the cloth and their glasses dangling out held from holding the temples in their teeth, it's probably me or another nearsighted presbyopic photographer.
    That might be me. I've been reading without my glasses for quite a while now, and using a pair of glasses just for PC (too much time spent in a photo forum). But my ophthalmologist now says I'm starting to develop a cataract and should consider laser surgery. My wife will have that done to both eyes in the next month or so. Old age is hell!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by silveror0 View Post
    That might be me. I've been reading without my glasses for quite a while now, and using a pair of glasses just for PC (too much time spent in a photo forum). But my ophthalmologist now says I'm starting to develop a cataract and should consider laser surgery. My wife will have that done to both eyes in the next month or so. Old age is hell!
    My distance prescription has decreased slightly. When I asked about it the optometrist said it was normal and "usually due to cataracts." When I had a panicked reaction (I'd just turned 49 at the time last year) she calmed me down, took a look with the slit, and said I was "age normal" and she doesn't call it cataracts until it interferes with my vision that she can't correct or interferes with my life and I have years left before that, but some yellowing and change in prescription is apparently normal "starting in the late 40s or early 50s." Ugh.

OTOH, my aviation medical examiner two weeks later pointed out, "when you do need surgery in 15 or 20 years, while it's not exactly something to look forward to, with today's implants you'll see better than you ever have and just go 'wow!'" Apparently they have the ones that adjust focus with distance like your original issuance working pretty well now. Still, I'm happy to give them longer to perfect 'em.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Roger, my doctor said the laser work is done as an outpatient and takes about 30 min. Obviously will need to be driven home afterward and will be a few days (told my wife two days) before I'm good to go again. BTW, one of our local sports announcers had it done at a local clinic and raved about how he got rid of his glasses and was ecstatic. So perhaps they've got it pretty well perfected already.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh it's pretty good - but I have a friend who just had it and was told he wasn't a good candidate for the ones that adjust focus - I reckon those may be good but not perfect for everyone yet. And right now I have no problems with glare or the like and can still be corrected to 20/20 so I'm not rushing it. Any surgery has risks, and I don't take un-necessary ones with my eyes.

My dad had both eyes done in his 70s and my mom, who will be 85 later this month, went today for a consultation. I figure I have a fair number of years yet. I'll be 50 in August.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Oh, so you're still a youngster. Sorry. I'm starting to crowd 80. Yeah, you've got plenty of time. As long as I can still focus the camera and enlarger, I'm a happy camper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh it's pretty good - but I have a friend who just had it and was told he wasn't a good candidate for the ones that adjust focus - I reckon those may be good but not perfect for everyone yet. And right now I have no problems with glare or the like and can still be corrected to 20/20 so I'm not rushing it. Any surgery has risks, and I don't take un-necessary ones with my eyes.

My dad had both eyes done in his 70s and my mom, who will be 85 later this month, went today for a consultation. I figure I have a fair number of years yet. I'll be 50 in August.
    I have quite a few friends who've had the surgery too. Mixed results... one had big problems that needed extra surgeries to correct and she's still not completely happy. To be fair, everyone else I know is happy. ( Wow, this topic came a long way! )

I'm with you though, Roger. I'll try drugstore reading glasses first, then I'll ask about a prescription. Then, with my luck, I'll spend a lot of money on a new grain focuser and find out I need a new pair of glasses to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by silveror0 View Post
    Oh, so you're still a youngster. Sorry. I'm starting to crowd 80. Yeah, you've got plenty of time. As long as I can still focus the camera and enlarger, I'm a happy camper.
    If I'm still around and can focus a camera and enlarger at 80, that sounds great to me!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin