Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,337   Online: 828

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Graded papers with Ilford500 head

I've been lucky enough to pick up a Devere 504 fitted with a Ilford500 head. While I normally print on VC paper is there any problem using graded paper under the 500 head, do I just set the controller to grade 2 to balance the light source or is there a way to get straight white light from the head that I don't know about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For graded papers you want white light. I am unfamiliar with the Ilford model but heads of this type usually have a provision for white light focusing. I would contact Ilford for an instruction manual which you will need anyway.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    From the manual (pg 39): http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1151751747.pdf

Prints from graded paper such as ILFOSPEED can be made using the ILFOSPEED
    MULTIGRADE 500 equipment. ILFOSPEED paper is only sensitive to blue light , therefore
    select contrast grade 4 or 4 1/2 (suggested) on the control unit as a compromise between
    exposure time and image visibility .
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank, I have read the manual but unsure if newer graded paper , foam contact speed in fact could be put in the same box as old ilforspeed. Also want to use it to pre flash ilford direct positive paper

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Thank, I have read the manual but unsure if newer graded paper , foam contact speed in fact could be put in the same box as old ilforspeed. Also want to use it to pre flash ilford direct positive paper
    Do you mean Foma contact paper? That might be too slow for use under an enlarger, but possible I suppose. Contact papers are usually slow, chloride emulsions suitable for daylight printing. You can put it into an old Ilfospeed box if you want to, but be careful you don't mistake it for old Ilfospeed...

At my university I tried printing Grade 2 Ilfospeed Galerie on the De Vere 504s fitted with Ilford 500 heads; even without a grade filter engaged I found the results rather lacking in contrast for my taste. YMMV.

Your enlarger should be fine for pre-flashing paper.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    set your grade on 3 1/2 on the 500 enlarger, it prints well for graded papers...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Prior to owning an Ilford 500 head on a Durst 138 I regularly printed graded papers using an ordinary "blue" cold light head. I read somewhere that using green light (low contrast with Multigrade papers) with graded papers would produce a slightly softer contrast version than using blue light ( high contrast with Multigrade papers) I found this to be true, at least with the Agfa papers that I was using.

I've never tried it with the 500 Head as I use the Multi graded papers most recently as opposed to older graded versions. Seemed to have a slightly greater effect with cold tone papers vs warm tone papers.

Cheers
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, I can confirm your observation to be true with the 500H, in my experience too, with some graded papers, like Gallerie.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin