Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,286   Online: 958

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You report capital gains on your freely gifted stuff, you're not very smart lol

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clearly, Stone doesn't understand how tax auditors work.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Clearly, Stone doesn't understand how tax auditors work.
    I do, but there are things they just don't need to know about, and if something is FREE then it's inherent value is 0... If someone is willing to pay nothing for something then it has no value, and therefore shouldn't be taxed, you can't quantify some things gifted money is a little different, there's a constant value on money that CAN be quantified.

Plus I believe in "free trade" in terms of bartering. I think taxing NEW goods, and goods that have been refurbished is ok, but taxing a used good is bullshit, someone already payed the taxes on that items value. Unless I'm selling the item and claiming the depreciation loss on my taxes, the other guy shouldn't pay any taxes on the item, the government already got their money. If however I do claim a depreciation on the sale of it, then the other person (should be told) and write that as a purchase.

Trust me, I know a lot about tax law, and have my own opinion of how it should work and be fair and not take advantage. No taxation without reason and intent... That's my feeling.

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    I do, but there are things they just don't need to know about, and if something is FREE then it's inherent value is 0... If someone is willing to pay nothing for something then it has no value, and therefore shouldn't be taxed, you can't quantify some things gifted money is a little different, there's a constant value on money that CAN be quantified.

Plus I believe in "free trade" in terms of bartering. I think taxing NEW goods, and goods that have been refurbished is ok, but taxing a used good is bullshit, someone already payed the taxes on that items value. Unless I'm selling the item and claiming the depreciation loss on my taxes, the other guy shouldn't pay any taxes on the item, the government already got their money. If however I do claim a depreciation on the sale of it, then the other person (should be told) and write that as a purchase.

Trust me, I know a lot about tax law, and have my own opinion of how it should work and be fair and not take advantage. No taxation without reason and intent... That's my feeling.

I ain't saying nuttin'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I was referring to the fact that auditors have been known to actually research the internet presence of the person they audit.

And tax law is inherently simple - if the statute makes something taxable, then it is taxable. And if it doesn't succeed in making it taxable, it isn't taxable. Traditionally, taxing statutes would be strictly construed by courts.

Fairness is a question of politics, not tax law, unless the tax law actually incorporates questions of fairness into its language
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back to the topic of the thread?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To OP:

My recommendation is to get whatever is offered locally, cheaply, complete and get started. Spend as little as you can because believe it or not, many people and business are glad to give them away knowing they will be used. So far, I had 4 enlargers. First was Omega D2 which I paid 40 dollars. Second was another Omega D2 I was given for free but needed some work. Then Besler PrintMaker 35 came and went. Then Vivitar VI that was given to me for picking them up. (Free) Just few days ago, I was offered several but I don't have any more room! There was also a lead on a large school darkroom that is closing....

Once you get started and start communicating more actively with people who are local to you, you'll have endless offers.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

jpa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    Thanks for the offer. This is great. I am actually in Chicago now - but my parents are in Franklin PA, and I have relatives in Pittsburgh area, so if you give me an idea of when you are going to be in Monroeville, I was thinking that it may be possible for my uncle to meet you somewhere and pick up the enlarger. It's possible my Dad could also meet you somewhere as well. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks Rick!

Mark

So are you in Chicago permanently, or just temporarily? If you will be here awhile, and you are able to wait a couple of weeks for me to dig up my old enlarger (from my parents' house), then I'd be willing to let you have it gratis. I just need to gather everything together. The enlarger is Besselar 67 something or other - I forget the exact model number - but it's the one that has a nice chassis and a color head (no need for separate filters). Always willing to help out a fellow Pennsylvanian ( I hail from the Pittsburgh area myself ).

PM me if interested.

Jan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin