Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,449   Online: 1048

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I guess my reply did not take. But for me F-stop printing has helped a ton. And out flanking prints. That is if you think that you need to burn for 15 seconds, burn for 30, that way you know how far it too far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nextreme View Post
    I posted my question because my last print session, I felt it should have been an easy print, but it didn't turn out that way.

Hi, Steven,

I know exactly what you mean. I had many negatives like that. Should have been an easy one but it wasn't. Once, I spent 6 months in darkroom before I printed one that I was happy with. I also had many that looked bad but printed amazingly well.

We call this, fun in the darkroom, right?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me it was learning how to expose and develop film to match the tonal range of the paper I was using.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Standardize.

Otherwise you might spend Friday night cutting a new negative carrier for half-frame instead of printing.

Oops. That's what I'm doing tonight.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ataim View Post
    I guess my reply did not take. But for me F-stop printing has helped a ton. And out flanking prints. That is if you think that you need to burn for 15 seconds, burn for 30, that way you know how far it too far.
    I agree these are good steps forward.

By out-flanking you see what could be, and know decisively that (when) you've gone too far. With that knowledge, you know where you are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Otherwise you might spend Friday night cutting a new negative carrier

You, too?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    You, too?
    Small world, eh?

Steven,

Your original question called to mind a quote in a 'Zone VI Newsletter' by Fred Picker (No. 31, January 1982).

"The printer of a photograph linguistically presents to himself the situation he confronts. He can improve the print only to the extent that he can point to and name its shortcomings." - Alexander Jamison, 1978

I'd explain what that means to me, but my interpretation might detract from its impact. For now I think it would be better to leave the quote standing alone and let the thought sink in and mean something to you...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I like that quote Bill

I see it simply as (putting tone where you think it is required), how you do it seems to trouble a lot of workers here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Small world, eh?

Steven,

Your original question called to mind a quote in a 'Zone VI Newsletter' by Fred Picker (No. 31, January 1982).

"The printer of a photograph linguistically presents to himself the situation he confronts. He can improve the print only to the extent that he can point to and name its shortcomings." - Alexander Jamison, 1978

I'd explain what that means to me, but my interpretation might detract from its impact. For now I think it would be better to leave the quote standing alone and let the thought sink in and mean something to you...

Shooter
    35mm
    I was just reading about f-stop printing, but it seems to require a timer than can be set to fractions of a second, right ? (mine can't)

Bill, that is a great quote ! it's got me thinking...

I do have a question (for everyone). When you find the min exposure time to get max black using the clear bit of leader, do you use that as the starting time for your test strips ?

Oh, and I too have a half frame camera, a Ricoh Auto Half E. I think I have the negative carrier for it too

Many thanks everyone
    Steven

(I will post an update after my next print session, hopefully one night this week)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think the best thing to do is to forget about split printing, burning or dodging. The first step to getting a good print is nailing the exposure and the contrast. The technique I use to do this is to use test strips I cut from a sheet and expose the strips in the same place where the key element is. Expose it as your "normal" contrast (2 or 3) over a range of times. Make sure you get a time that is too much and one that is too little based on the highlights only. Then, tweak the contrast to get the blacks you want. The time may need to be tweaked after you nail the contrast. Don't be tempted by short cuts until you are consistently making good prints. Oh, yeah, and it takes a lot of paper in the garbage to make a good print!
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin