Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,789   Online: 1043

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Yes, your example looks like more than just larger mask. Here is example from my axomat:

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art...-170-205649119
    OH so it's like a paper mask not a metal one, so you're seeing the fiber ends etc where it wasn't cut perfectly?

I always wondered how that happened....

I also don't understand why they don't make glass ones so you can get the edge effect without worrying about struggling to catch the edges of the film... lol
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    OH so it's like a paper mask not a metal one, so you're seeing the fiber ends etc where it wasn't cut perfectly?

I also don't understand why they don't make glass ones so you can get the edge effect without worrying about struggling to catch the edges of the film... lol
    You're being facetious, right?

See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    You're being facetious, right?

No I don't print optically... I have a great enlarger but haven't used it yet... It's in the basement, it came with metal plates to put film in but the edges are metal and wouldn't produce funky edges.

I can't tell from that tiny image what that is... :/ is there glass on that?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format

Axomat has metal negative carrier, so I taped some sellotape on the edge of metal to be sure that negative will not be damaged.

On focomat V35 they have different negative carriers: with glass, without, 24x36mm, 26x38mm (so I heard, did not see it in live)... my negative carrier is 24x36 - so I did rasp job on that one too. Good think that top is anti newton glass that is bigger than 24x36mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No I don't print optically... I have a great enlarger but haven't used it yet... It's in the basement, it came with metal plates to put film in but the edges are metal and wouldn't produce funky edges.

I can't tell from that tiny image what that is... :/ is there glass on that?

Stone:

The example I posted (post # 20) was printed with a carrier with plates that have clean, metal edges. The "funky" stuff is a result of the light source and reflections off of those edges.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Stone:

The example I posted (post # 20) was printed with a carrier with plates that have clean, metal edges. The "funky" stuff is a result of the light source and reflections off of those edges.
    Thanks, interesting. I have a color head thing (like the head produces the colors I don't need filters) so would that light source still leave a funky edge?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, interesting. I have a color head thing (like the head produces the colors I don't need filters) so would that light source still leave a funky edge?

Could be.

The character of those outside-the-negative images is a lot like "bokeh" - dependant on a whole bunch of factors. The nature of the light source (diffused (like your colour head), collimated semi-diffused, or collimated point-source) is no doubt one of them.

I have a couple of friends who have two identical Omega D5 enlargers, save and except the light sources. I should probably encourage them to experiment.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Could be.

The character of those outside-the-negative images is a lot like "bokeh" - dependant on a whole bunch of factors. The nature of the light source (diffused (like your colour head), collimated semi-diffused, or collimated point-source) is no doubt one of them.

I have a couple of friends who have two identical Omega D5 enlargers, save and except the light sources. I should probably encourage them to experiment.
    Cool, I have a D2 now but sadly won't for a VERY long time be able to set it up. It's big haha but I've got all the stuff! Even Cibichrome tubes haha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dont forget the hassleblad notches

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 25x37mm carrier for my leica V35, it's a fiddly little thing to get the neg perfectly aligned (I prefer a little more wiggle room for the borders, like 26mmx38mm) but does get you the clean border with no filing, unlike the standard carrier for the v35.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin