Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,733   Online: 815

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've got at least eight cats. Only two of them are housecats .... but all of em do know the lab is off limits. But to work there I've got to change clothes after watching the evening news with the cat sitting on my lap... and then I blow myself off well with the compressor, and often put on a cleanroom suit for fussy film work or color printing. I've got electronic air cleaners, antitistic guns, the whole nine yards. Evertything is frequently mopped and swabbed. Ordinary black and white printing is a little less fussy once the negs are actually in the enlarger - fiber-based
    papers produce a certain amt of lint anyway, so requires cleaning up afterwards. I cut my teeth printing Cibachromes, which are almost impossible to spot properly, so learned early on that cleanliness in next to godliness in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Could some of the dust be coming from cat litter? What is the traffic on the streets outside of your house? Fortunately I live where the humidity is generally high. I have a foam air filter over the AC duct in my darkroom and an exhaust fan in the darkroom and have never had a dust problem.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just depends how critical your standards are. If you wear a cotton shirt in the darkroom, you have a lint problem! Just look how anyone in a
    real cleanroom is dressed. At the Bayer plant down the corner the floors are stainless steel and steam-cleaned prior to every batch run. Once
    you're suited up you can't even take a bathroom break. The inspector comes in wearing a new white glove and runs it around the inside perimeter of the exhaust hood. If the glove shows any dirt or discoloration, you're fired! We darkroom workers have it easy by those standards. But we can copy certain practical solutions from cleanroom industries, like controlling dust and static. Yeah, I can still remember when I put up my first exhibition from color work enlarged in a carpeted bedroom and developed in an adjacent bathroom, but it's a helluva lot eaiser to do it in digs with enameled walls, triple-filtered air lines, a big industrial air cleaner, and a true HEPA vac system (which bears little resemblance to those cheap phony HEPA vacs you can get at home centers). Every little bit helps. I especially like my 100% dacron cleanroom smock. It's washable, but has none of the lint of a cotton lab coat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Just depends how critical your standards are.
    I have dust from the playa in my darkroom right now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That is literally true, but the playa dust will not be on my negatives. It's on the old Coleman stove sitting on the floor that I plan to clean off tomorrow. The full explanation is that my darkroom is not sealed and the air is not filtered. My standards are decidedly NOT critical. I work in black and white and consider dust a problem up until the negative is exposed. After that, dust becomes a white speck on the print that is easy to spot.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    That is literally true, but the playa dust will not be on my negatives. It's on the old Coleman stove sitting on the floor that I plan to clean off tomorrow. The full explanation is that my darkroom is not sealed and the air is not filtered. My standards are decidedly NOT critical. I work in black and white and consider dust a problem up until the negative is exposed. After that, dust becomes a white speck on the print that is easy to spot.
    Bill you're a burning man guy? I never would have guessed! Cool.

I haven't been, but that's because I'm too broke haha, but I breathe and spin fire with a lot of those from the same community

Also, I live in a terribly dusty place, it's awful. But I agree it's more critical BEFORE the image is taken, but the best way to combat it is to add humidity to the room before you hang the film, it kills the dust flying around, this is easy for me since I hang film in my shower, so can steam it up first, I can't say what to do with a dedicated darkroom...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Haaa, not me, but I can see how leaving out specific details can give that impression. Friends sure, some of our friends go all the time and my wife says they practically organize the event. But I went to the desert with the Boy Scouts, more in line with my roots.

Humidity is my friend, that is for sure, since I live near the beach. This could be the secret of my success.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Haaa, not me, but I can see how leaving out specific details can give that impression. Friends sure, some of our friends go all the time and my wife says they practically organize the event. But I went to the desert with the Boy Scouts, more in line with my roots.

Humidity is my friend, that is for sure, since I live near the beach. This could be the secret of my success.
    oh haha, yes that puts it all in perspective, FYI Eagle Scout Troop 68

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    FYI Eagle Scout Troop 68
    Wow Stone, now you've surprised me! Congratulations.

Jim,

Sorry to have hijacked your thread... Now you see the gamut runs from Drew's cleanroom to my pigpen. Of course you will want to be somewhere in-between. I don't think I'd spend $900 for a HEPA filter. I once picked up a nice old used one at a flea market for $20 and ran it in my cabin darkroom. That thing was big as a speaker and had a squirrelcage fan on variable speed control. It really cut down the dust. That cabin had small-ish rooms. Smooth floors, ceilings and walls were easy to clean.

So I think a HEPA filter would be great, but don't spend that much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin