Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,194   Online: 1000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks great, actually. I really wouldn't worry about the temperature thing unless you are doing something critical. I don't worry about it myself, and I often work in hotter environment than you do.

I like your second one because it is a great photograph. I like the kid looking back at the lower right corner.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks,

This was done on a side road between arusha and dar el salam in tanzania. People are selling vegetables around every village.
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Large Format
    We had a darkroom in semi desert. AC for room temp. cold water tap temperature about 98 - 102 F. No problems with developing unless someone decided to chill their chemicals to 68 - 75 F, sudden shift to hot water wash would do very strange patterns in the grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For metol-hidrokinon developers temperature effect is:
    Low temperature:longer developing times, less contrast prints, cool print color
    High temperature:short times,more contrast,warm prints

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey guys!

I would like to pick up the topic. My darkroom (aka my basement) is slightly colder these days. I think something around 18°C or slightly less.
    What i understood is, that you'll develop paper for completion rather that on the spot as for negatives.
    If it's warmer that the 20°C in the data sheet, this point will come sooner. If colder, probably later.

But i just don't get how can i check in my open tray that the print is ready? How will it look like if i overdevelop that print?

It's confusing for me that there is no temperature compensation curve in the data sheets of Ilford....

Maybe one of you can help me getting around that corner?

Shooter
    35mm
    It's possible that cold print-developer won't really ever give you a solid black. There are probably variations between developers as well (I never tested). In my experience, 'colder' is more of a problem than 'warmer'.

My solution many years ago was to buy a dishwarmer to stand the tray on. These are no longer cheaply available of course, but an alternate is to go to an animal-husbandry shop and buy one of the heated rubber mats used for keeping baby piglets, and other small animals, at the right temperature.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thats a good idea! Thanks, i will give it a try!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gave it a very quick test last night. 18°C and the stuff was working fine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin