Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,846   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Temperature effect within the darkroom for enlargement

Dear all,

I found a lot of documents related to developpement of films and compensation related to Temperature.

Now, i plan to print some RC and FB tonight or this week-end. The temperature now at my home is quite high and i think the whole room will be between 25 to 28°C.

What will be the effect to work at this temperature ? I will be using Eukobrom from tetenal.

Sorry if this question has been already posted but i didn't find anything and also, i didn't find any technical documents on the eukobrom.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The paper will develop to completion sooner at the higher temp.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You will also feel warmer. Temperature is not so important for paper since we develop to completion, rather than developing for a precise timing as you do for film.

Enjoy your weekend in the dark!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When developing to completion you watch the print and not the clock. Changes in appearance of the print with time will tell when development is complete.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Developers are not composed on one ingredient but several. Depending specifically what you are using, some developing agents might be more
    affected than others in nonstandard temperatures. This could affect things like final image color. In other words, "completion" might come sooner with respect to one ingredient than another, if you even want to go that far. This has more to do with fine-tuning your results. And it
    can be an issue if you are trying to replicate an effect you got during a significantly different time of year. The most important thing is consistency, so you can realistically predict your results. You can always use a tempered water jacket too - a larger tray around your actual
    developing tray. You also have to be aware of perspiration on your fingers affecting materials - it's a chemical agent too! I'm lucky to have
    one of those old Zone VI compensating developing timers - it works remarkably well for modest changes in fluid temp.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The chemicals in open tray will balance to the ambient room temp, in my darkroom the temp and humidity is constant so I have repeatable results.
    If the room cools down you will notice your dev drop and you will need to compensate, if your room heats up same thing.
    if the room temp does not fluctuate much over the evening session then you have nothing to worry about.

I will say that there are those here who work in slow methods, let prints dry and then evaluate..then go back later to print final.

If the room temp is not constant then this method of working can introduce a whole can of whoopass as there will be no repeatable starting points there for no established way of predicting results.

To the OP if you finish each negative in an efficient manner the room temp should not affect you whatsoever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I will say that there are those here who work in slow methods, let prints dry and then evaluate..then go back later to print final.

Now, I don't know anyone who does that kind of crazy thing.... Hehe.... that's ME!

To OP:

I live in central Florida. My house is "cooled" to 81F which is 27.2C and my darkroom tends to be just a little warmer than that. Temperature doesn't fluctuate much as that's where my thermostat is set to. Tap water (which I dilute my Dektol) is a bit warm too, so the temp fluctuation of the developer is not great. I actually have not observed any meaningful difference.

Taking Bob's advice, it's probably a non-issue provided you let your developer reach an equilibrium or close to it, before you start your process.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    My film and sink rooms have R23 insulation - ideal temp almost any time of yr, and very easy to keep comfortable in winter - at least if I don't need to turn the air exchange fan on high! - that has happened few times because it's a huge exterior-mounted squirrelcage exhaust fan, and
    to wild bees it looks like a great spot to start a new colony. There can sure be persistent! One time I had to keep that fan running high for
    three days straight before they finally gave up. There were little bits of chopped up bees landing in the darkroom sink.

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear all,

Thanks for all good advices.

So i printed on friday night, waited midnight ti be ready.

Indeed the temperature was very high. I managed to get some prints and i would say that i am quite happy.

It s more than a year that i switch from an appartement to another place and it's the first time that i was able to print again.

Anyway many thanks for your help. So i developped the paper fully. I think i will have to adjust the exposure when i will print again in cooler times.

Here is my first print in my new darkroom. Nothing extraordinary but i wanted to print it becaus i have some nice blacks, whites and a lot of greys.

Grade 2, 10s. At f11

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130727_020347.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	72218

The other one is difficult to print because the contrast is high. Perhaps will need to try with filter less than 2 and another developper (i heard and see that eukobrom gives deep blacks and good contrast)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130727_020226.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	72219

Sorry for the snapshots taken with my phone.
    All the best,
    Rom

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    My film and sink rooms have R23 insulation - ideal temp almost any time of yr, and very easy to keep comfortable in winter - at least if I don't need to turn the air exchange fan on high! - that has happened few times because it's a huge exterior-mounted squirrelcage exhaust fan, and
    to wild bees it looks like a great spot to start a new colony. There can sure be persistent! One time I had to keep that fan running high for
    three days straight before they finally gave up. There were little bits of chopped up bees landing in the darkroom sink.
    Dear Drew,

Did you try to take them in another place ? In my place, people are growing wild flowers to bring back bee. This type of flowers is like a bakery for childrens, they love it so much so they will stay next to and don't bother the rest of the environnement.
    All the best,
    Rom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin