Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,936   Online: 867

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format

love my d2

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Get a nice clean Rodagon 135mm and you'll be all set - it covers just fine. Schneider, Rodenstock and Nikon all made great glass and you'll be happy with any of them.

Make sure to look for one in good condition, with no haze in the lens or scratches, etc.
    what he said....

alternately, i've used mine with both a cold light head and the proper condensers/lamp for 2 1/4... once you start to get "complicated" you move beyond what is a rock solid, reliable enlarger that is a joy to use....

should you need parts, harry taylor in CT harry_g_taylor@sbcglobal.net is an expert on omega enlargers and very helpful

enjoy
    Last edited by JimO; 08-21-2013 at 07:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dswiger View Post
    OK, the votes seem to be for a 135. I am looking at a few on Ebay now & the 39mm plate/retaining ring to go w/it.
    A 150 would require a longer cone.

Thanks

if you can't find the plate on ebay, you can get it at freestyle - an advertiser here, or harry, as noted previously.

jvo

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For the record, a 150mm lens with the proper cone on an Omega D-II will enlarge a 4x5" neg to 16x20" with the standard column. I don't know if there was an extended column that worked with a D-II, but you could raise it or easily rotate the column to project on the floor, if you only print that big occasionally.

Used enlarging lenses are pretty cheap, so there's no reason not to use modern 6-element lenses from the major manufacturers, and it's not much of a stretch to go for Apo lenses that were formerly very expensive (with the exception of Apo EL-Nikkors, which are still very expensive). Ctein published an article many years ago, showing that there was more sample variation among lenses of a single manufacturer and model than differences between comparable lenses from different manufacturers.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

ALL CAPS BECAUSE THIS IMPORTANT. A 150 used a 6" lens cone. A 135 a 3 1/2 . IF YOU PUT A 135 ON THE 6", YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE LARGE PRINTS.

BECAUSE IT IS TOO FAR FROM THE NEGATIVE.

IF YOU PUT A 150 ON A SMALL CONE , THEN YOU CAN NOT MAKE SMALL PRINTS.

SO MATCH THE CONE YOU HAVE.

A 150 cover 4x5 "better". 135 was for 3.25 x 3.75 " negs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When you look at the rodenstock information of the 135 rodagon you'll see that its listed for 4x5 and not for smaller formats. I remember finding some MTF curves for both lenses somewhere on the net and the differences between the two lenses were marginal IIRC. The advantage of making bigger prints with less column hight is a very big plus for the 135 mm for me. And in my personal experience it is an excelent performer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used a 135 El Nikor (3 1/2 inch cone, as Ronald says) for 30 years for 4x5 with a D2, and have never seen edge or corner problems (and I have looked for them). I, too, enjoy the increased projection scale.
    FWIW - I always (always) use the lens 2 stops down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin